Parallels, XP, and Licenses

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by switcher3365, Mar 16, 2008.

1. switcher3365 macrumors regular

So, I am getting different statements about which versions of Vista that can be used with Parallels or other virtualization software.

On Parallel's website, they post all versions of Windows as compatible, whereas I was told that you can only use Vista Ultimate or Vista Business. With XP, you would have to purchase separate licenses if you want to use the OS in BootCamp and Parallels.

Can someone clear this up?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

You only need to install once, parallels can detect and use the boot camp partition. I believe Vista licensing has changed so that you can virtualize any version.

3. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

If you install XP via boot camp first then Parallels can use that install too.

You can use any version of Vista for virtual machines as long as you have a license for it. There were restrictions in place previously but they have since been lifted.

4. switcher3365 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, so I might as well save the extra $30 and buy Vista Home Premium, though I really don't need Windows for its features but just the ability to use Windows-only software.

ANYWAY, how would this use in Bootcamp and Parallels work with an OEM version? Would it work?

5. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

The OEM version of MS products is just a license type. The actual software and installation etc. is identical. OEM licenses should only be used when a significant hardware upgrade (CPU, Hard Drive, RAM, MB) has occured or on a new machine.