Parallels

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by My6AteUr8, Jun 13, 2012.

1. My6AteUr8 macrumors newbie

I have to install Windows Parallels on my Mac for school. I inserted the disk and let it install with all of the new updates, and the final word is that it installed successfully. But, following the instructions in the booklet, I've come to find that I'm not seeing, on my Mac, what the book says I should. It never prompted me to input my activation key for starters. Next, it tells me to go to my applications folder>File>New to start Windows but, the "File" is not in my applications folders. I can't find anything on the booklet that's helping me and I can't find anything on my Mac to initiate Windows. Does anyone have any experience with this to say what I may have done wrong?

2. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

It almost certainly means "Application Menu", not "Application Folder". The "Application Menu" is the one next to the apple logo with the name of the application you're running. So if you start Parallels, or switch to it, you should see

<Apple Logo> Parallels File Edit View ...

at the top of the screen. Although it seems odd for them to want to look in the application menu, because normally "File -> New" means "go to the File menu, select New".

I haven't used Parallels in a long time; I went with vmware and it hasn't killed me yet.

3. My6AteUr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I switch to or start Parallels? The booklet that came with the software isn't helping me at all.

4. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

You can start it from your Applications folder on your dock (where all your programs are.) Alternatively, you can click on the spotlight search (magnifying glass in the top right of your screen) and type parallels. The application should be the first search result.

5. My6AteUr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Too easy! I guess I haven't learned this Mac as well as I thought. LOL! Thanks guys!