Paralles and Canon MX870 printer question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by I Need a Drink, Dec 18, 2014.

1. I Need a Drink macrumors regular

I have installed Parallels and Windows 7 on my iMac. As a default that Mac is set up to share the printer with the Windows VM. The problem is that the ability to Fax from the print sheet function that is available in Windows is not an option on the Mac. Canon's website says this function is not compatible with the Mac.

From time to time I need to a fax a Word or other document and I would prefer not having to print pages and then fax, so I decided to install the printer driver that allows me to select "MX870 Fax" directly in the Windows VM, same as it was on my old computer as well as my Win 7 machine upstairs. The problem is that my printer is set up as wireless on my network and the Canon driver installer can't locate it on the network from the Windows VM (found it fine from the Mac installer and from the upstairs Win 7 installer as well) and there is not option to directly point it to the IP address. Anybody have any ideas how to set this up?

2. jrs22 macrumors 6502

I have a canon mp990 printer that is set up to print wirelessly. It works fine for regular printing through Windows, but when I needed to use MS Access to print envelopes through the rear tray I ran into a wall. After a lot of time on the phone with Parallels support the supervisor said that the function was not possible with a wireless connection. He had me connect the printer by USB cable at which point Parallels queried me about using the printer in Windows vs OSX. Then I was able to run the print job. Since I do this infrequently, once or twice a year, I stopped looking for a better solution. It helps that I'm using a Macbook pro that I can carry to the printer for the occasion.

I recall that I had to go into Parallels set up to instruct Parallels to query me before connecting a new USB device.