paranoia or problem?

B1rdman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Hello all, I was wondering if I am just being paranoid or if there is a problem with my battery. I bought my macbook pro just about a week ago and iStat Pro is already saying my batteries health is down to 98%.

Now, I know 98% doesn't sound bad, but I figure if it jumps down 2% every week I won't have a battery at all within the year. So, should I try returning the battery to apple for a replacement or is this something I shouldn't be worried about?

CWallace

macrumors 604
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
My machine is two months old with only three charge cycles on it, and averages between 98-99%. It's likely just normal fluctuation. You can try and improve the calibration by doing some conditioning of it, but personally I am not going to quibble over 1 or 2%.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Try refreshing the battery (run it down until the system sleeps, then recharge) see if that corrects the read out. Likely it is just an error, or the initial drop that occurs after a few cycles.

TEG

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
My machine is two months old with only three charge cycles on it, and averages between 98-99%. It's likely just normal fluctuation. You can try and improve the calibration by doing some conditioning of it, but personally I am not going to quibble over 1 or 2%.
So, do you keep yours plugged in 99% of the time?

Mine is 4 months old with 151 cycles.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It's normal.

It's when it randomly drops to like 70% and then back up and then back down again that you have a problem.