Paranoid that bootcamp can see Mac HD?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by minifridge1138, Dec 27, 2011.

1. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I'd never used boot camp before, but thought I'd give it a try.

I was horrified that I could see my Mac partition (and its contents) from within Windows.

I've had such bad luck with windows that I do not like the idea that it could modify my OSX install.

Am I just paranoid?

2. simsaladimbamba

No worries:
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.
    Also know, that the term "virus" is often used to refer to other kinds of malware, but there are differences, which you can find out by reading the following:

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios

3. wpotere Guest

Of course it can see it, it is a partition on the drive in a format that Windows can read and write to. Just don't go mucking around with the system files on that drive and you will be fine. ;)

As posted above, there are currently no viruses for mac, but if you are in Windows make sure that you have some type of virus software installed (Microsoft Security Essentials is good and free). This will protect your drives from malicious code.

4. minifridge1138, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011

minifridge1138 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not worried about my mac partition getting infected.

I'm worried that an infected windows partition will start deleting files at random (It's happened to me before) or creating files until all my drives are full (It's happened to me before).

I've had lots of bad experiences with Windows and I don't my Mac to become an innocent bystander.

Are there any ways to keep the mac partition safe other than:
    1) Anti-Virus software in windows
    2) Remove the Harddrives with OSX installed on them when I boot into windows.

5. simsaladimbamba

Not use Windows?
    But if you have a good AV software installed, you will be safe, unless you peek around in all the dirty places and download, click and look at everything without thinking.

And if you use Windows 7, then you are a lot safer than with Windows XP.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your Windows can't write to or touch files on the OS X partition, unless you intentionally give it the capability to do so, which isn't a trivial process. No Windows malware can hurt your Mac OS X partition because Windows can't write to HFS+ formatted drives.

7. wpotere Guest

Doh, you are right! I totally forgot that I had a utility installed to let me read/write to it. Without something like that installed your partition is totally safe. I was using MacDrive by MediaFour. :cool:

8. minifridge1138 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just an update, it is possible to remove the HFS+ drivers from the windows install. Then it can't even read the Mac OS partitions.

9. Exhale macrumors 6502

Its 2011/2012 - 'prank' malware has been almost extinct for the better part of a decade. Few that exist are trojans, as nobody wants to waste exploits worth millions (particularly if they're zero-day) on mere pranks.

10. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I find it handy having Windows being able to read my Mac partition (for example, transferring photos to edit - so much easier than transferring to a USB drive). But as has been mentioned, it's read only - Windows cannot write to the Mac partition at all.

11. wpotere, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012

wpotere Guest

Just installed 64 Bit Ultimate and it doesn't see it at all (it does see it in drive manager). I have used Mac Drive by Media Four for years and it has been great. If you want to read/write, this is a pretty good product.

My bad, it looks like a patch enables the drivers for HPFS. Still, it is read only. The software above can make it read/write.