Pardon the ignorance

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bluush, May 6, 2007.

1. bluush macrumors 6502

But.. why is it not possible to load Mac OS X onto any laptop aside from a Mac? I mean, any random laptop has a HD, RAM, processesor, etc, etc... Isn't the hardware similar if not identical? Over the last two weeks I've come to realize I love Mac OS X and completely ABHOR the actual hardware. Upon inspecting my new Macbook I'm noticing tons of slight imperfections, misalignments, lopsidedness, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. It makes me wonder if this thing is just going to fall apart any second. I'd love to have Mac OS X on someting more reliable, like a Thinkpad. I wish Apple would made a more rugged line.

Tired of nursing this 2 week old laptop around, checking the bottom for cracks randomly appearing in the cheap & thin plastic.

2. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Because the company the makes OS X is the same company that makes the laptops, and they have exclusive control on their products.

3. mpw Guest

I've abused my near-year old MacBook from day one and it's not suffering anything but being dirty, if yours is really cracking etc. I'd take it back.

As for loading OSX onto any laptop, I believe Steve Jobs controls this with 'magic' when he dies all Apple software will become open-sauce. Can't wait to load this onto a VAIO TX :)

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

On most hardware imperfections are standard, but not on Apple hardware. If your MB is not looking right. Take it in. Apple prides themselves on making kick-arse hardware to go along with their software. OS X on a non Apple computer is taking away the hardware aspect of the idea, leaving you with only half of a cool computer (the software).

5. 66217 Guest

Return your MB, it is not acceptable to have crack in the under case.

This is the first time I hear of this happening, don't think all of the Apple laptops are fragile.

They are very durable, the thing is that when you realize how well designed they are, you want to take good care of it. But you take care of them not because they break easily, but because you don't even a small scratch in it.

6. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Actually the polycarbonate (I believe thats what the MB are made with) is not supposed to crack. If not just for this, you should take it in because it should be doing that. Apple does pride themselves on beauty and functionality, if there is something wrong with it, take it in and see what they have to say about it.

7. bluush thread starter macrumors 6502

8. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The reason for why you can't install it on regular hardware is that apple is a hardware company and uses their software to sell the hardware. But your plastic cracking is defiantly not normal, try taking it to another Apple store or service center.

10. bluush thread starter macrumors 6502

The nearest store is too far away, and I commute by bike. Should I even have to take it to another store??? There is clearly a problem here. Why should I run all over town to fix what should be glaringly obvious problems? One of the reasons I went with Apple was because everyone told me how great their service was. I read the horror stories here but figured "oh, that's just a select few people - won't happen to me." Now it's happening to me, and I can't get help. I'm tired of even thinking about all of this.

-Truly disappointed

11. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Have you called apple care and explained it to them?

12. bluush thread starter macrumors 6502

I did now. Because there is a 14 day full refund policy (upon receipt) and I'm on day 12, they can still do a refund of my money. The girl on the phone (who was very nice, by the way) gave me a case number and I need to call back tomorrow when the Sales dept. is open to finalize this (I presume they'll mail me packing supplies to send it back and it'll be a long drawn out process).

What a headache. I so frustrated. I really hoped I wouldn't have to deal with all this with Apple. I don't even know if it's worth it to give them a second shot. Normally I'd not even consider it, but in the last 12 days I've had this computer I have realized that I love Mac OS X a ton and have no desire to go back to windows.

I know one thing though, if I stick with Apple I'm DEFINITELY going PRO. No more plastic cases. Jeez.. now I wished I'd paid attention to all those 12" MBP rumor threads, cause 15" is way too big for me.