Parellel or VwFusion??

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Encanto, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Encanto macrumors regular

Hello everyone. I Just bought a Previous Generation Macbook Pro, I 'm looking into installing either Parallel or VWfusion. Which one do you guys recommend?? I want to use windows xp for some windows Only applications. Do you know if either program supports Windows Messenger Live' Audio or Video?? Thank you for your help!

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Both works. Its up to you which you want to go with. I don't have a personal choice since I do use both regularly.

3. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

well, is windows live messenger your priority for installing one of the two programs? if it is, just look into microsoft messenger for mac. it has audio and video, and wont need the extra operating system

but if you need the virtual system for other things, theyre both fine choices, but to save yourself the $80, i'd suggest looking into virtual box. but if you need close to full preformance of you machine in a virtual machine, either vmware or parallels will do just fine :)

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I second the virtualbox software. Fusion/Parallels are okay, but if you need seriously power for using Windows, run Boot Camp, which is free and already installed on the computer. It's native so no emulation of anything, just run like a PC would.

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Last time i checked, microsoft messenger for mac only has video/audio for corporate accounts, not personal accounts.

6. Encanto thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much for your replies! I own a copy of parallel 1.0 so maybe i ll just go with that. I can get a $30 off to upgrade. I want to run some Audio Editors programs over on the Windows side like Sony Acid, Soundforge and Audition...

From what I know there is no Audio/Video for mac messenger. I heard that Isight Camera and the audio works over on Windows using Parallel. Anyways, thank you for the info.

7. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I prefer VMware Fusion. Much more stable, faster, etc.

FYI, there are about 20 other threads on this topic. If you do a search, I'm sure you can find a lot of more in-depth reviews than mine.

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i prefer Fusion as it picked up my Boot Cam partition much easier. with Parallels i had to edit plist file to see my Boot Camp partition which isnt very user friendly. so i ended up buying Fusion.