Parellels desktop CPU assignment

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Willyee3, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Willyee3 macrumors member

I was wondering if I should assign all my cores to parallels.. and would there be a downside in doing so...thanx!

ps i dont run much on my windows anyways. so i dont think it would slow down my computer too much if i assigned them all... i just want windows to work fast when i am on it.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Assigning all is a bad idea, regardless of what you're doing. You still have to have enough resources to run OS X as well. There's also no need for a bunch of cores for simple stuff.

3. Willyee3 thread starter macrumors member

if i assign them all, windows and osx would be sharing cpu power as opposed to me just giving all the power to windows right? sorry noob question i know.

4. simsaladimbamba

If your Mac has four processor cores and can support four threads (one per core) (only an example) and you assign all four cores to Parallels, then Mac OS X will be slower, as it has to "fight" for CPU time. But if you even it out (two cores for Parallels) then Mac OS X will be working quite good, as will Windows. I have a dual core Mac (with one thread per core) and I assigned one processor (one core) to my Windows VM in VMWare Fusion and Windows works quite okay. And Mac OS X does too.