Parental Control administrator password problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Itv, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Itv macrumors newbie

I have recently installed Parental Control. Apparently, as I learned from this site, I should have set up a separate administrator account before enabling PC, but i didn't, I did not know about it. Now my computer does not recognize my admin password and user name anymore.
    I am able though to log into my computer with my original admin password but nothing else.
    I noticed that now under my partner's name in the accounts list the word "admin" appeared. What's going on? Anyone can help with tips to fix this?
    I am 100% sure my password is correct, I have a very clear hint and I know I did not change it.
    Cheers!:confused::confused::confused:

2. Itv thread starter macrumors newbie

easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Since I posted the question above I found the solution and I thought I will share it here:

I noticed that MY accounts changed to "managed" and one of my other accounts changed to "administrator". I thought I will try to use my original administrator password on the new "admin" account. So to be clear, when you see the window to type in user name and password for user name use the one that belong to the account that now is "admin" and for password use YOUR original admin password when YOU were the admin (before it changed to "managed" when activated PC).
    To my surprise it worked. It does not really make sense but it works.
    When you unlock the other account you can now turn off PC and return your account to "admin" status and the other account will change back to "standard". No disc needed to reset password, no reset and risking of loosing your files.
    The only question is how come apple alllows the administrator password to work with a different user name???? and why do they not worn you before you activate PC that you will be locked out of your admin account???