Parental Control application for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lukeksk, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Lukeksk macrumors member

I use ComputerTime application for managing parental controls on my Windows machines. However, I do not know of an equivalent application on the Mac. Is there an application for the Mac that offers parental control like:

1. Specifying when a child can log in to the Mac?
    2. What day a child can use the Mac?
    3. How much time is allowed per day for use on the Mac and where each session totalled up will not exceed the total allowed time per day?
    4. How long each session is allowed?

Thanks.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

The mac has built in Parental Controls. They are found with System Preference if you are running Leopard (probably the same with Tiger). Never used them but that would be a good place to start and see if it will fulfil your needs.

3. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Just make a limited user account if there isn't one already, then click on Parental Controls. I use it at home, mostly to keep the daughter off the computer after a certain time during school. It's also handy to use as a reward/punishment. It was hard for her at first, but now it's part of our SOP.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The built-in Parental Controls will do all of that for you.

5. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Let me tell you something about those controls, It is really easy to bypass them just by booting a certain way and typing some stuff.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

and a 10 year old kid is going to know this how...

Even you use parental controls, you should keep an 'eye on them'. Parental Controls help you but are not the whole answer.