Parental Control Issue with iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by MidnightJava, Jul 29, 2012.

1. MidnightJava macrumors newbie

We recently purchased iPOD Touch devices for our twin 11 year-olds, one for each of them. We use my wife's appleID for them, which she also uses for purchases on her iPhone. They do not have the Apple ID password, so I approve all downloads, free or otherwise.

Recently we received a bill for an app that is inappropriate for them, and which we did not approve. From questioning the children, I learned that they discovered that after I approved a free download, they were able to make another download without re-entering the password, if they did so "right away". I had heard that Apple made a change to no longer cache the password for 15 minutes, but apparently it is still cached for a short amount of time.

My first question is: How long does the password reman cached in the iPOD, and is there a way to manually reset it, so I can be sure that when I hand the iPOD back to my child they cannot do anything that requires the password?

There is a further problem, in that I also discovered a dozen or so free downloads were made, which are explicit sex-related apps that I do not want my children to have. The apps show up ion the iPOD in the App Store, if I select Updates-> Not on this iPOD. I also see them in the account history for the Apple ID account. I'd like to know which child purchased these apps, but each of them is denying it. Checking the account history in the App Store, I see the dates, web order number, and invoice for the free and/or purchased downloads. I'd like to know which device was used to place the order, but this info doesn't appear to be available. Is there any way I can find out which of the iPODs (or perhaps the iPhone, which they also use sometimes) was used to download these apps?

Finally I'd like to make these apps no longer available for download. I see how I can "hide" them on the account page in iTunes, but the popup tells me I can "unhide" them from the Account Info page. I don't see any way to unhide them, but I'm sure my kids will discover it if it's there. Is there a way I can completely remove these apps so the info doesn't show up for them? I assume they would still require the password to install them, but I don't want the apps to show up n a list at all.

I can get the kids separate Apple Ids for the future, so I can tell who does what ging forward. But I'd like to be able to tell who downloaded these apps on the current Apple ID.

2. brandyboot macrumors member

brandyboot

3. MidnightJava thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link brandyboot. The article says that no-password downloads for free software was found in iOS 6 beta. I'm running 5.1.1, and that's not the case now. But given where the OS is headed, the question of how long the password is cached after a free download is moot.

I locked down my kids' iPODs now based on content ratings, but I'd still like to find out which device downloaded the adult software, if that's possible.