Parental Control on the "Youtube" app?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Boscatman, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Boscatman macrumors newbie

I have a 9yr old son who loves his touch. However, I found some stuff in his "youtube" history that was inappropriate for a 9yr old. (Sexual in nature...no nudity but none the less)

1. Can you remove "youtube" from the touch? Either internally or by an external app?
    2. Where are the parental controls? Can you get a stronger one in an external app?

Thanks,

2. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

THis is coming for the internet: http://www.mobicip.com/

The other thread told you where to find the info on the youtube removal.

But here is a screenshot of the manual on how to do it. There is a thread i have that has some info on it too....

[​IMG]

3. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

No sense in removing the YouTube app because there are a million other ways for him to see the same material. Besides how many of us at or around the same age didn't see similar things on tv? The only difference is our parents had no way of looking back at what we watched.

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It still doesn't mean that the parent shouldn't take any measures to help restrict access to the material. I'm sorry, but that was not good advice at all.

5. Boscatman thread starter macrumors newbie

What makes "no sense" to you, makes perfect sense to millions of parents!! However, I do understand your argument! As a concerned parent I feel it my job to thwart as much as I can. When you were a kid and got caught with dirty mag's...you got into trouble. When you got caught staying up late watching movies with nudity you got into trouble. The same still applies still applies now. However, the stakes are much higher these days. If a kid talks about stuff like this in school they do not react the same as they did when we were kids. They are much more harsh...ridiculous at times!!! So the more we, as parents, can remove these types of enablers the better off we are. If even just to post-pone the inevitable.

6. justan macrumors member

there is nothing on youtube thats that innapropriate. There is some stuff thats worse then others but nothing that really needs to be blocked

7. saberahul macrumors 68040

I'd disagree with this comment (i wonder why this person has been banned) because I personally have found material inappropiate for even a 15yr old. As stated above, you can under settings. Good luck.

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

ROFL, wow okay calm down. What he meant to say is that he can use safari to open up pages that contain adult material. He is right to that fact but you can block safari as well.

9. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

There is definitely material that is not appropriate. It may not contain nudity or anything, but there is plenty of YouTube material that one will find offensive, and would want to keep their kids from seeing. Take Bo Burnham's songs on YouTube, sure, there is no nudity or provocative pictures, but some of his lyrics are downright offensive, racist, sexist, among many other things. If I were a parent I would want to keep my kids from material like this.

10. jsook724 macrumors regular

there is a way

just go into the settings app. then go to general then restrictions. set a password and then you can set restrictions for explicit ipod songs, safari, youtube, and more

11. bc9339 macrumors newbie

I guess there is no way to do parental control on Safari app and YouTube app without disabling it.

12. phillipduran macrumors 65816

phillipduran

Dig deeper, I've been down youtube rabbit holes that required me to wash my eyeballs afterwards.