parental control

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mimlee, Nov 14, 2015.

1. mimlee macrumors newbie

I got a new mac computer recently and was playing around with it, setting it up. I went into parental controls thinking it was a good idea to limit some websites as i have two small children. I clicked on the 'create a new user account with parental controls' option. Now i am not too computer savy and thus this lead me to having two separate accounts on start up. I did not want two, i only want one! Upon trying to rectify my mistake i have instead deleted my original account (which i had already uploaded photos onto) and am left with the second account still active (minus all of my photos). My question is, can i recover my original account and if so,how? Please help. Thanks. x

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

This depends, during the delete, did you select to back it up or delete it?

3. mimlee thread starter macrumors newbie

Delete it I'm pretty sure

4. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Then I do not know why apple osx would retain the data.
    Do you use time machine or other means of backup, which is always recommended prior to making changes to, or deleting data?

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I gave up Parental Controls because older children can get around it. So I went with OpenDNS because I can block known Trojan hosting sites as well as custom blocks and allows. Since I put the DNS in my router because the kids have no clue how to find the blocking. Plus I set a picture to show during a block to contact Dad about the site.

6. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

That sounds like a solution as well.
    ( sidenote. I am still sad that opendns got acquired by cisco )