Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reedomann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Parental Controls keeps on asking me to unblock some website called https://api.echoenabled.com. I don't want to unblock because I have no idea what it is. I click ok instead of clicking add website because I do not want to add it. But, if I do that it will just ask me again 3 seconds later! It gets really annoying :mad! Anyone know how to make it so it won't ask me if I want to unblock this website anymore?

reedomann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
i usually have my gmail account open and espn.com

----------

it doesn't always ask me but when it does it does repetitively and it is extremely annoying!!

reedomann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Now its doing this for lots of web cites. how can I make it so it asks me to unblock these less frequently?!

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Maybe you could do some research on the Interwebs?

It appears this is a company that sells "social apps" to web publishers, mainly newspapers and magazines. They provide commenting, "like", and other social features for these sites. Most likely then, you are seeing this because of ESPN.

If you block it, then those features aren't going to work on those sites that use it.

And if you're parental control software won't let you set a "don't bother me" flag for a site, I'd suggested you get new parental control software. (If OSX has some built-in parental controls, and it's this bad, get third-party!)

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
And if you're parental control software won't let you set a "don't bother me" flag for a site, I'd suggested you get new parental control software. (If OSX has some built-in parental controls, and it's this bad, get third-party!)

I would go a step further and remove all parental controls and instead put in monitoring software. Parental controls can be circumvented, flag sites that are okay and miss sites that are not okay. Monitoring software lets you see what the kids are up to at any point of the day. Then if you see something of concern you can speak to the kid about it.

Spector Pro is the best I have seen for monitoring. The kids also will not know it is running if you don't tell them. Their user accounts must be standard. Administrators are alerted of the programs presence.

reedomann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Yes, but Spector Pro costs $100.00. I looked around and googled a few thing but I didn't find anything. Any suggestions of what I should search or where I should look? Also, maybe If I post a screenshot of the pop-ups that keep on coming up asking me to unblock the websites that would maybe help identify the problem? How do you post a screenshot?:confused: Sorry I'm new.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
If you don't unblock the sites permanently it's going to keep bugging you about it. You cannot lessen the frequency except by not visiting those sites. If the webpages have content that auto refreshes that causes this alert then this will keep happening. By the way what is flagging the parental controls is the https I have noticed on a clients computer that any secure content that loads under https rather than http will flag the parental controls.

So your choices are unblock them permanently, disable parental controls, stop visiting the website or buy Spector Pro. If you are concerned about the websites your children visit and the people they talk to online then I would buy Spector Pro. It is a vastly more effective parenting tool.

Also why don't you use an Administrator account for yourself? Since you mentioned the ability to unblock the website I can only assume you do have administrative privileges.

reedomann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
heres a screenshot

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-09-05 at 1.54.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-09-05 at 1.54.10 PM.png
    854.8 KB · Views: 290
  • Screen Shot 2011-09-05 at 2.12.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-09-05 at 2.12.34 PM.png
    618 KB · Views: 266
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.