Parental Controls Email HELP!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mac-missionary, Jan 6, 2010.

1. mac-missionary macrumors newbie

Here is my situation.

I got an itouch recently for my 13th birthday and am veeeery happy:D.
    However, the problem is my parents definitely want to put parental controls on it. So far, they have blocked everything they can (safari, apps, itunes) except they can't find a way to block gmail. They are very worried that I will chat online to my friends using gmail chat. Thus, they have stalled giving me the itouch until I find out how to block gmail. Even if they don't give me the internet code for our house, there are many that are open that I can access. So I'm asking for your help pleease!

First of all, does blocking Safari block gmail too? I know there is a separate app for that so I didn't know if it was the same.

Second, if it is not part of the regular parental controls, is there an app that will block gmail for me? I will pay!

Thanx so much :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

...what do they expect you to use the iPod touch for, then?

There must be a parental control to block the installation of new apps. That'd solve your problem.

3. mac-missionary thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I meant itunes store on the itouch. Not songs all together.

The mail app already comes with the itouch and I can't delete it. It would be a lot easier if I could.

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

The Mail app does not offer chat.

Since they are already blocking Safari and your downloading of apps, there is no way you can chat on an iPod Touch.

5. mstrze macrumors 68000

btw...hurry up and get off this site...you are essentially chatting with strangers! ;)

6. mac-missionary thread starter macrumors newbie

7. mstrze macrumors 68000

No worries!:D

Yes, the Mail app is not anything by gMail anyway...it's purely Apple, but yes you certainly can sync a Gmail account to it, or any email account you have actually. I have it load my Gmail account so at first I didn't even come to the realization that it wasn't a Gmail app until i thought about it. LOL

But no, there isn't a way to chat using Mail.

Do you chat using Gmail on your regular computer? And if so, what's the problem with doing in on the Touch? You won't be runnng up any bills certainly as you can only use it when you are connected to wifi. If you are never allowed to chat, or are only allowed supervised chat then I understand. :)

8. mac-missionary thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly. Parents :rolleyes:

thanx though, hopefully they will understand

9. mstrze macrumors 68000

I'm a parent too...though my son is only a toddler and he technically has his own iPod Touch (we both have iPhones so he gets the 'old' Touch LOL) but I understand the paranoia.

Have them go into Mail and the Settings for Mail and look for a chat feature...they won't find one.

I currently have 3 apps that do chatting on my iPhone: AIM, Yahoo Messenger and Facebook. I don't even think that accessing Gmail through Safari on the Touch will allow you to chat come to think of it. Hmm.

Anyway...I can talk them down if they want to contact me. :)

Have fun! You will love the Touch!:apple:

10. mac-missionary thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx soo much. It has taken a while to convince them I was responsible enough for an ipod

next: Phone:D

I am definitely committed to mac. we were once a pc home, but with me and my friends helped convince my parents to get a mac. Now they will not use the pc because they love the mac so much. hence my name

11. mstrze macrumors 68000

Well keep up the good work guy! or girl! :p
    I LOVE convincing friends to switch.

12. mac-missionary thread starter macrumors newbie

Boy. lol.
    Will you excuse me, my parents are coming home:eek:

13. mstrze macrumors 68000

14. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

They might want to look at Mobicip.

http://www.mobicip.com/

They can have it as open or not as they wish, they probably would want the $9.99 a year subscription to be able to do a list of sites to block or allow.

Also, this follows the device everywhere - not just at home.

I hope that helps them!

15. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Thats harsh, i feel for you man! Good luck getting it sorted.

16. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Holy moly. :eek: You have some strict parents kid. I feel sorry for you.

17. pubb macrumors member

Thank god for em.

18. dba7dba macrumors 6502

But the kid will thank his parents when he's grown up...

19. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Chatting on the internet has a fairly low risk factor. And yes I am a parent.

20. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Here is where i interject - MR is not a parenting site, and casting judgement on his parents isn't what he is asking for - he is asking for helping meeting their wishes.

Sounds like a good kid.

(in other words, posts bashing parental choices in the past haven't been allowed to remain..... if you can't help, it doesn't contribute to the thread now does it?)