Parental Controls for Safari

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by YsoSerious, Jun 5, 2012.

1. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

Is there a way to put parental controls on safari? I tried the integrated parent controls but it eliminates the app all together. I want my kid to be able to use safari, but limit the content to a PG rating.

2. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Not that i'm aware of. You'll need to use a 3rd party browser (if there even is one with this functionality.)

3. djharris macrumors member

Here are some ideas, depends on what you want to do...

You can set up your router to block access to specific MAC's at specific times (like, when your kid should be asleep). A MAC is a unique identifier for a specific network adapter. That way, your laptop will work at those times, but the kid's ipod touch will not.

You should be able to set up your router to block specific URL's, maybe even for specific MAC's.

Set up a proxy server for the machines on your network (or maybe just for your kid's ipod touch) to use a blacklist of known "bad" sites. See: http://dansguardian.org/

These suggestions are great for at home, but won't really work if your kid goes to Starbucks, McDonald's, the mall food court, a friend's house w/ wifi, etc.

Hope this helps!

4. YsoSerious thread starter macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

Thank you for the great ideas!

5. Portaluk Guest

It's not ideal an solution for you, but what I done on my children's iPod touches was to disable safari in the settings and install an free app called K9 web protection browser.
    I don't believe you can set it to a specific age rating filter but at least it will stop anything inappropriate.

The safest way to protect your family against all the bad things lurking on the net is education, education and education.

6. djharris macrumors member

Going to bump this thread... check out the "FamilyShield" option, you might like it. You can set your router at home to auto-assign these IP addresses to everyone on the network, but you can over-ride them on your personal computer to the regular OpenDNS (or IP's DNS servers, or Google Public DNS, etc.) if you need to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS