Parental Controls, Hide Apps

Discussion in 'macOS' started by henrylo, Jan 14, 2010.

1. henrylo macrumors newbie

Hello, I've just set up an account that will have parental control, however I don't want the apps that the account is banned from to show up in the applications folder, and the simple finder is a bit too dumbed down. Is there a way to hide the apps but keep the "normal" finder.

Thanks.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

There is not a way, that I am aware of, to hide those apps.

If you really want to invest a lot of time, I suppose you could create a folder in applications called "restricted" and drag those apps there. Then you could right click on the "restricted" folder, get info, and only grant permissions to admin users. This is a bit messy because Software Update will expect the programs to appear in their original locations and new versions of them might show up, unrestricted by parental controls, when they are included in a system update.

Another thing you can do is pick those apps one by one and set permissions on them so only admin users can read and execute them. Once again, you are playing with fire. When Software Update pushes you a new version of an app, it will very likely have world read and world execute permissions.

Making things disappear from the finder might make a nice addition to parental controls. Unlike another software company I know, Apple often listens. Perhaps you could contact Apple support and ask this question. Who knows? Hiding blocked apps in Finder might show up as part of Parental Controls a few months from now.