Parental Controls in OS X Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by MacGeek87, Jun 20, 2011.

1. MacGeek87 macrumors newbie

I've done a lot of research on OS X Lion in anticipation of it's July release. I've read all about UI changes and new features like Versions and AirDrop, but I haven't been able to find anything concerning changes to Parental Controls. For those running OS X Lion, could you please shed some light on any changes. Thanks.

2. celticpride678

I don't think there are any drastic changes to it.

3. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Are there any other programs that are better than the integrated parental controls? Years ago I had either McAfee or Norton on my PC that had a number of options for me to select per my kids' usage, but I don't see much customization in the integrated settings on the Mac.

4. DFWHD macrumors regular

I'm about to get a Mini with OS X Lion primarily for my teenagers to use and am also looking for some type of tool to monitor and manage their web browsing. On their current PC, Norton does a great job of filtering. Does anyone know of a program for Macs that works good?

5. String macrumors member

I've just started using parental controls, but I've hit a road block. I've set the web sites that can be visited but when the user goes to the site say Moshi Monsters the Flash portion of the site will not work. Has anyone found a way of getting this working?

6. mojobaer macrumors newbie

Time Limits Broken in Lion Parental Controls

The time limit function in Parental Controls has been broken by Lion 10.7 OS X

The remaining time depletes at about 3x of real time and many times shows garbage that looks like this:
    0:-4

There are a few threads on the Apple Support forums about this, but no one has posted a fix or workaround that I can find. Anyone else?

7. ewkid macrumors member

One thing I've noticed is that parental controls in Lion blocks access to all https sites. You would think that this wouldn't be a problem but a lot of the kid shopping sites my kid likes to cruise around on seem to have https areas that are not related to making a purchase.