'Parental filtering'

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by WhatAmI, Aug 22, 2012.

1. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Having migrated to an all-Apple environment at home I find it very peculiar that Apple, given their stance on prudent content on ie AppStore, has left out ANY possibility for us to apply URL/domain-filtering in their nw devices... I have three kids, two of them being boys and even if if I can't protect them forever from the evils of teh interwebz I would like to stop them from visiting certain sites - at least til they're 13.... So is there really no solution for us caring parents? :confused:

Yes I can remove Safari from their iDevices but as it would stop them in their curiosity track to learn more about stuff we feel is appropriate at their age I'd really don't want to do that

2. simsaladimbamba

Is the PARENTAL CONTROLS System Preferences pane not enough, or is it gone in OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion?

3. seeharrison macrumors regular

seeharrison

Which network device are you running? I've got an AirPort Express and it allows me to set time restrictions on wireless clients. I know it's not a perfect solution, but maybe restrict internet access for the kiddos after a certain time. That way there's no late night surfing without parental supervision.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can use Parental Controls on OS X devices, or you could use a free OpenDNS account to add router level blocking of adult sites. If the little ones are somewhat tech savvy though they will be able to change the router DNS settings to get around this.

5. WhatAmI thread starter macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Thanks for the responses guys. My kids all have laptops running W7 (don't ask...) and they are neutered by NetNanny so OSX Parental Control is exactly what I would use if I had been smart, and I guess loaded enough to get them Macs. It's the iPods/iPads I am looking to gain at least somewhat control over while hooked up to our wireless. Turns out http://www.opendns.com/home-solutions/parental-controls/ was just the thing I was looking for and it's even free

Damn, that was an easy configuration Weaselboy, many many thanks!

6. AdaS, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012

AdaS macrumors newbie

the built-in mac parental is not enough. Maybe you can try a third party website blocker, like Aobo Mac filter. I used it on my family computer.