Parental Filters on Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Graygirl, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Graygirl macrumors newbie

I've recently realized I'd like some kind of filters for the more unsavory "adult" sites out there that my teenagers might try to visit, hopefully free or inexpensive. I've heard a little about OpenDNS. Can someone help me or guide me in the right direction?
    Thanks

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Just use Parental Controls on your kids' user accounts on the machine.

3. rich.smith macrumors member

OpenDNS is a good choice. Simple to setup and will work with any device that accesses the Internet using your network. Go to opendns.com. Sign up for an account. You need to modify the dns server addresses in your router to the opendns servers. I suggest writing the current settings down in case you ever want to switch back.

A DNS server translates the internet domain (e.g. macrumors.com) that you use in your browser to the numeric address of the computer that you are connecting to. Opendns uses lists of domains that have been categorized. You choose which categories of domains that you do not want to access and the DNS server will not give you the address of that site. Without the address, your browser is unable to access the site.

if you request it, opendns will also record statistics about the sites that are visited, including any attempts to access blocked sites.