Parents and iPads

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kupp, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Kupp macrumors regular

So my mother has an original iPad, which she got at some point in the second half of last year. I got an iPad 2 about ten days ago. We live about 90 minutes apart and but with today being a holiday, we were in the same place.

She was complaining about how when an email has a link in it, it knocker her over to safari and she has to go back to the home page to get back to her mail.

Previously I had tried to explain how you can double click the home bar to bring up the task bar and switch back quickly. This doesn't work on her iPad, and today I think I found out why.

In her setting she is still running iOS 3.2.x which correct me if I am wrong, is pre-multitasking.

Now my two questions are, will letting iTunes update such an older version be problematic at all?

And has anyone else had to try and explain to their parents the need to sync their iPad with the computer, as my mother is absolutely and stubbornly adverse to plugging the damn thing in.

2. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

iTunes will handle the update without any problems to 4.3.2.
    No, you should not explain it to her. You should just do the backup and update for her.

3. iLucas macrumors 6502

You should have no problems updating the firmware on the iPad.

Just show your parents the firmware version on your iPad and insist that updating to the same version will enable the features for her. Thats what i have to do with my mom.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I just walk in, announce "I'm updating your iPad," and do it. :D

5. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Just do it, I never tell my parents when I`m updating their computers/iDevices.
    It`s on a "need to know basis" :)

6. donnaw macrumors 65816

LOL - I'm the parent/grandparent and I treat my husband and kids the same. "I'm updating you PC/phone. Be done in a few minutes".

7. dacapo macrumors 6502

In thinking through this, I'm not sure that updating the iOS would have any perceived benefit for your mother?

On a pre-iOS4.0, the lack of the "multitasking" bar means she would have to click twice, once on the "home button" and a tap on the mail icon.

What you are suggesting will actually require 3 clicks/touches. Twice on the home button, and a tap on the mail icon.

8. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I used to get calls from my father at least 3-4 times a month about some sort of PC issue. To resolve the problem I went out last year and bought/setup a Mac Mini for him. He hasn't called me in over a year :D

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Another possible fix/improvement for iOS5.......

When you click on links like this, the program that is fires up (due to the link) opens up as a new window on top of the 1st program. when you have finished with it, you close it, and the original program is still there underneath. :)

10. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

also, if an app gets stuck in some corrupted save state, she'd have to manually kill the app from the multi-tasking bar.

no way in hell i'm gonna update my grandfather's iPad to iOS 4.
    the "if you're stuck just hit the home button" paradigm is just too damn practical for the not-so-tech-savvy

11. Ommid macrumors 6502

Wow, you must really like him to not want to talk to him so much :D

12. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Lol. My mom is the same way. I talk to her often enough. I just hate getting a call from her at 8am on a Saturday that starts with "Why is 'wurless' not workin'"

13. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

i hate being the family support guy.

14. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

I feel your pain. And apparently, so does this guy.

15. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Me too although it's just my hubby's ~ kids have their own teenage kids to look after :D

My kids are not stupid enough to touch my Macs.

16. Stetrain macrumors 68040

1) Upgrade to the latest OS
    2) Use XCode to activate the multitasking gestures

Now she can four finger swipe to go back to the previous application. I activated the gestures on my Mom's iPad, unsure whether she would actually use them or not. She loves them and uses them constantly.

It's much more natural that the awkward home button double-click.

17. dacapo macrumors 6502

me too, especially when your parents are thousands of miles away and are stuck with something and want you to help them over the phone.. haha.

Hmm, interesting. Might be worth giving this a try.

18. srexy macrumors 6502a

Ditto here with my Mother. Went from a creaking old Sony Vaio to a MBP. The worst calls were of the "I think I've got a virus" variety. Unfortunately I made the blunder of suggesting she use Entourage for her emails thinking it would make her transition a bit smoother. That $*&#ing waste of space has caused me endless hours of torment but being the stubborn ass that I am I won't give up on it...

Next step is to get her an iPad - best of all worlds!