Parents and iPod Touch

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by FunkyMonkey, Sep 9, 2007.

1. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

My birthday is coming up in the next few weeks and I really want an iPod Touch. I'm asking for money so I can get one (asking for about $100). But, my parents say that I can't have one because i need something to do besides be plugged into my ipod all the time. They want to get me a new guitar, which would be really cool, but i think i'd rather have the iPod Touch. See, I already have a junky guitar, but it still works fine. I'm trying to tell them that if they want me to get a hobby, I'll start taking guitar lessons. But, they insist that I am getting no help from them on buying the ipod touch and I must earn it myself.

Sorry to go so long, but anyone have any suggestions? I'm all out.

2. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Yes.

Start saving your extra money, and after a while you can buy your own ipod touch.

Seriously, unless you're 12 or younger, you should probably be buying your own toys. no offense.

3. monke macrumors 65816

monke

Earn it.

Seriously, if you're parents won't get you money, find a way to make the money.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

You already have a guitar?

It seems like you already have an iPod too.

I'd go with the new guitar...

5. FunkyMonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

You're right. I should just start saving up.

5 months until Touch! Wahoo!!!!:rolleyes:

EDIT: The new guitar is actually looking really good right now.

6. ambience macrumors member

Starting earning your own money to buy nice things. Seriously, I'm sure you will find it far more satisfying if you actually use your own money to buy an iPod touch.

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Go with the new guitar. Practice hard, get some gigs playing folk music outside small restaurants or something. Then you'll have enough $$ for your iPod Touch.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Save..or saying your iPod can be a hobby for you...Podcast can be fun to make!

9. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I always here this...but its not..I've bought things myself, and had them bought for me....either way I'm enjoy the item, not how I got it!

11. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Sure... But it's more exciting saving up!!! I only need $40 to get me a new 8GB Nano!! It's great! Can't wait...:D

12. adk macrumors 68000

adk

are your parents telling you you can't have an ipod touch at all or are they telling you they won't just hand you $100 to buy a new toy?

13. -kritter- macrumors regular

-kritter-

Like everyone esle has said thus far, just go earn the money for it yourself, then your parents cant tell you what to do with YOUR own money...thats what I have had to do for the last 4 years, and im 17 now. I have bought 4 ipods, a macbook, $500 dollars worth of clothes each year, and countless other things... It feels nice being so self dependent, and plus you treat your stuff with alot more respect. And also you can bring up the fact when your parents try to take stuff away from you because of bad grades or if you somehow got into trouble or what not, that YOU bought it (ipod, computer etc.) with YOUR money, and it is not theirs to take away...

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Steal. Injured people who use crutches can't chase you.

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

May I suggest review what self dependent means?

16. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

pwned :D

To the OP, it was Will Smith I believe who said "man, parents just don't understand!" :p Honestly, you shouldn't be complaining either way since really you get something new anyway. I take it you are younger than 16 so finding a job would be difficult, but if you can i suggest going that route. Since 16 i work Friday nights and Sundays, earning about $100/week. You can easily work 2 days to earn the money in a month! Since you have no other fees to worry about like mortages and stuff you can keep all of it for the Touch.

Hope everything works out for you.

17. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

Get a girl and go to the movies.;) If you have a working iPod, it works. Working guitar? It works too. No need for it... Christmas is coming up by the way (if you believe in Christianity),

18. AppleFan08 macrumors member

19. -kritter- macrumors regular

-kritter-

"self-dependent: reliance on ones self"

So if you buy your own stuff like ipods, clothes, and computers and such. And your parents are not buying those things for you anymore (assuming you are still under 18 and living in their household). Then that would mean you are a more "self-dependent" individual. Or an individual who is less dependent on their parents buying them their wants(things not needed to live, T.V. computer etc.) and not their needs(things needed to sustain your own life, food water etc.)...

I dont see how that sentence in my first post could of not made sense, the words seemed like the right ones to use...
    Oh well, I guess I could be wrong. Im only 17. What do i know, right?

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

17 year olds don't know anything.

Talk to us when you finally turn 18....and your opinion starts to count. ;)

21. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

TwAaaaNnnnnngGG!

Get yourself a new stick...you can never have to too many in my opinion!!! :cool:

Video displays on iPods are lost on me....it plays music....and it lives in your pocket most of the time....seems pointless to me personally! :p

22. bartelby macrumors Core

And presents are coming if you don't:)

23. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Start flicking everything around you, horizontally and vertically. Emphasise points by moving two fingers diagonally further away from each other. It'll soon drive them crazy so they'll cave.

24. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Ahaha brilliant. I might just do that for the hell of it, I don't want an iPod Touch but it would be fun to do it anyway :D

25. user13 macrumors regular

user13

Great! Set a goal for yourself. Setting goals help to gain some results. It is very important in life to live from one minor goal to another trying to reach something really important