Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crsb20012001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2017
My parents have blocked my wifi usage from 10-6 on the modem and this is affecting my iPhone and iPad's wifi. Does anyone know how to bypass the parental time limitations for my devices? Thanks in advance

• Haha
Reactions: Vaccaria

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
My parents have blocked my wifi usage from 10-6 on the modem and this is affecting my iPhone and iPad's wifi. Does anyone know how to bypass the parental time limitations for my devices? Thanks in advance
They choose to switch off the internet between these times. There's nothing you can do, since it's their house, their rules. Get a personal mifi or create a personal hotspot from your iPhone.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008

Have you tried talking to your parents about it? Maybe they didn't know you would be inconvenienced.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
why not just use the internet sharing function in your iPhone? With that,you create,and of course pay for,your own connection.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
When my kids were younger I also blocked the wifi during similar hours on school nights. This was to prevent them from staying up too late on their computers.

Think twice about trying to bypass their limitations. If your parents find out, you may not have an iPhone or iPad to worry about for awhile.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Unless you're paying for your internet service and your devices,myou really have no right to defy your parents' wishes. Work it out with them or live with it.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
However it's much easier just to put up with it. When you move out and have your own house, you can go on the Internet for as long as you want -- you can also do all your own laundry and cooking! :D

And pay utilities, and insurance, and for groceries, etc. ;)

#iwantindependence #youkeeptheresponsibility

Last edited:

katielouise37

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2022
Lol didn’t have much luck with those other replies did you?

I’m only just seeing this cuz I have a similar issue that I was trying to research— my parents blocked my WiFi as well.

There are a few things you could do:

1. Turn off the WiFi on your phone and use your data. This is the simplest by far, but it becomes an issue if you don’t have an unlimited data plan. Also, your connection might not be the best depending on what data plan you have.

2. Find out the password for your router. This is most likely the way they’re blocking your WiFi. If you can find out the password as well as the company they’re getting their WiFi from, you can probably log into their account online and change the preferences there.

3. Get access to their phone somehow. This wouldn’t work for me since my parents are weirdly watchful, but if you can, they probably downloaded an app in order to make it easier for them to access the router settings. Find the app, disable the block.

I’m only at the beginning of my search so if I come across any other methods, I’ll update them here.

Also, to all those whose only response is “respect your parents,” I can only really say one thing— parents are human beings too, meaning that they aren’t always reasonable. You have no idea why this person had their WiFi blocked, or why they need it unblocked. Always assuming that a child’s parents are in the right and that they’re in the wrong is what causes a lot of parental relationships to deteriorate.

For instance, I literally only want the WiFi on so that I can finish my goddamn homework. If I have swimming practice and French club (which they forced me to sign up for, btw) up until 8 p.m., there’s no way I can get my coursework and studying done in the time between when I get home (8:15) and the time they lock the WiFi (10:00).

Did I tell them this? Yes. Did they listen? ****ing no.

Don’t just assume, guys.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Lol didn’t have much luck with those other replies did you?

I’m only just seeing this cuz I have a similar issue that I was trying to research— my parents blocked my WiFi as well.

There are a few things you could do:

1. Turn off the WiFi on your phone and use your data. This is the simplest by far, but it becomes an issue if you don’t have an unlimited data plan. Also, your connection might not be the best depending on what data plan you have.

2. Find out the password for your router. This is most likely the way they’re blocking your WiFi. If you can find out the password as well as the company they’re getting their WiFi from, you can probably log into their account online and change the preferences there.

3. Get access to their phone somehow. This wouldn’t work for me since my parents are weirdly watchful, but if you can, they probably downloaded an app in order to make it easier for them to access the router settings. Find the app, disable the block.

I’m only at the beginning of my search so if I come across any other methods, I’ll update them here.

Also, to all those whose only response is “respect your parents,” I can only really say one thing— parents are human beings too, meaning that they aren’t always reasonable. You have no idea why this person had their WiFi blocked, or why they need it unblocked. Always assuming that a child’s parents are in the right and that they’re in the wrong is what causes a lot of parental relationships to deteriorate.

For instance, I literally only want the WiFi on so that I can finish my goddamn homework. If I have swimming practice and French club (which they forced me to sign up for, btw) up until 8 p.m., there’s no way I can get my coursework and studying done in the time between when I get home (8:15) and the time they lock the WiFi (10:00).

Did I tell them this? Yes. Did they listen? ****ing no.

Don’t just assume, guys.
The forum member you replied to hasn't been on this forum since making this thread in 2017... I'm sure he's old enough to not have issues with his parents anymore..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.