Parents finally switching to Mac!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SilvorX, Apr 18, 2008.

1. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

I've owned my current iBook for many years now, and my parents were thinking about getting a new computer for well over a year now, but due to financial reasons (planning a trip to Mexico), they didn't think of getting a new computer as a priority.

They currently have a custom built machine that's just a piece of trash, some parts reaching over 8-9 years old.

Well anywho, my parents decided that it's time for a new computer for themselves, something my mom, who is computer illiterate, can use. Today the PC had it's monthly crash, which I had to fix, so they decided it was time for a new computer ASAP, since it's obvious that the machine is going to break down again within another few weeks (because it does it like clockwork), and I'm heading to Quebec for 3-4 months in a couple weeks. They decided it was best to buy a Mac now, and not put up with a broken machine for x months.

They decided on a 2.4Ghz 24" iMac, we were going to wait, since there's the possibility of a refresh very soon, but since the current computer is very unreliable, it was time for a new machine.

I'm sure it will be a machine that my mom will be able to use with ease, she gets confused over nothing on the current PC.

2. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Good Choice, your mom will love using an iMac, wonder if you'll ever be allowed to use it once her 'Addiction' for the Mac Starts ;) good luck.

3. asrmatt macrumors regular

asrmatt

My mother was a complete "computer illiterate" too... and in no time I got her to use my old iMac G5 with no problem at all.

I'm sure she'll love it!!

That's one of the great things of Apple ;)

4. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

5. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

My plans are to put an extra gig or 2 in it in 2 weeks or so from now

6. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

Well my sister, who's soon to be graduating, and acts as if she's entitled to everything, had a hissy fit because she didn't get to have any input into the computer. She "doesn't want" an iMac, because that's what the school uses. She also had a hissy fit 2 Christmases ago about how she got a Pink nano and how her friend has a nano so she didn't want one.

In the end, my sister shouldn't have had any say anyways, it wouldn't be her doing the (software) maintenance on it. After 8 years of constant problems on this PC, I know it's for the best :)

and if it were up to her, we would be getting a Dell anyways, only because it's not "the computer the school uses"

7. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Woddya know, the same thing happened to us! Litrally that is very very similar to what happened here!

We, too, had a 8 year PC, it was a old HP "crapbox" (thats what I called it anyway) which ran XP very very slowly, and which showed the same 3 errors everytime you booted it... Serously.

I had the iBook G3 for about 4 years so I knew how good Macs were so I convinced my Mum to get a 24" 2.4GHz iMac with 2GB RAM... But we did have to install Parallels on it for compatibilty reasons though.

8. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

My parents machine started out as an HP crapbox, but over years it was upgraded, mainly because of hardware problems (hard drives/motherboards/etc frying), as time went on, I got dark blue BSODs for just the most random stuff (ie trying to INSTALL windows), when playing a video on youtube or a DVD, the computer would randomly restart, and good luck installing Linux, the computer isn't capable of it anymore.

Back when we were buying the computer, I was kind of pushing them to get a tangerine iMac, but due to financial reasons, we ended up with the HP machine, with a 17" CRT display that took up literally half the desk, a loud beige tower that sounded like a vacuum, and a printer that leaks ink and jams half the time.

9. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

im still working on my parents. i think i go them 70% there. My dad keeps noticing great things and how easy they are to use.

cross your fingers!

10. nikopolidis macrumors regular

My congratulations! :) Now you are a Mac Family! :D
    Maybe you should install Virtual Machine (Parallels, Boot Camp or Fusion) on your mum's Mac if she used to go with Windows before... :eek: