Parents! Is there a reason to hate?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chrismac00, Mar 23, 2008.

1. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry that I'm venting here, I don't know if it's the right place, but whatever. So today was my early birthday party. I'm turning 15 on Wednesday. I'm starting to work next week at McDonalds(haha I know). I should bring me some money. Well today at my early Birthday party, I received $520. Yes, it might be a lot. I have to pay my iPhone bill tomorrow too so I received this just in time. Should I use this money to buy something I want or "save" it up like my parents want. I mean, they want me to be like what my older sister wasn't, and I don't wanna be like her too, but they don't let me spend that money on anything. Some people say I'm spoiled and I kinda think I am too but I appreciate what they give me and they think I don't. I've gotten around 10 brand new cell phones over the past 2 years and I recently got a MacBook and I've owned every iPod ever made after the Nano came out. And now the iPhone.

Should I expect all these problems in my life from now on? I feel pressured and stressed and I'm not even 15 yet. What should I do? I want to be a good person and set good examples and go far. I just don't know where to start?? Please help me out anyone, any advice would help. Please.

I don't know if you guys understand all what I just wrote, but right now, I'm just stressed, confused, angry, and a bunch more. :(

2. smt1192 macrumors regular

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

If your parents are the main source of your stress, perhaps you should just suck up and do what they want for some time (it's not like they are trying to make your life difficult, they are probably just trying to get you to do what is best for you). As far as spending or saving your money, unless you have something that you really want to buy (not just a mindless toy, either), you should save your money. Putting it in the bank is probably your best bet.

If you are going to have to buy your own car, or go half and half, etc. you will be happy that you saved up some cash so by the time you are ready to spend you will have it all.

And about the cell phones, may I ask why you have had over 10 in the past 2 years? Not to be offensive, I am just curious if you just kept breaking them or just had to have the latest :D I have only had 2 cell phones in nearly 4 years, although I plan to buy an iPhone this year (3rd phone).

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You are not 15 yet (until Wednesday) and you have purchased 10 new cell phones in 2 years.

Unbelievable! :eek:

At this rate, you will never get ahead in money game in life. Save and invest your money. Otherwise, statistically, you will end up with nothing later in life.

Unfortunately, you won't realize this lesson until much later in life. But by then, it will be too late.

5. chrismac00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I really don't know what's wrong with me. I have always wanted the new stuff(and no the cell phones are all good) and I just wanted what I thought was "in". I feel selfish right now actually remembering everything that I have caused. I know my family isn't rich and we struggle to pay everything and I've just made it worse. I think I've been controlling my dad(he's the one I convince to get me the stuff) I feel so guilty right now. And i think I should save my money in the bank I guess. Just having it right in front of me makes me want to spend it all. :( I'm just money obsessed I guess. Gosh I really feel bad and I don't know what to do to repay them. I feel so stressed right now. Ugh.:(

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

:eek: Are you serious? I'm single, young, have a reasonably high paying job and my rent is cheap which means I have quite a lot of "disposable" income and I'd never dream of wasting it that way. If you have the money to buy things like that, you really ought to learn to save. I try to save at least half (or more) of the money I earn above and beyond taxes, food, rent, gas and (necessary!) bills and really it works out well. I still have a lot of the things I want, but I never feel too worried about the future because I know I have money to fall back on if something unexpected comes up. It's much less stressful than being broke by spending more than you earn and having to worry about where your next rent check is going to come from.

Yeah, expect them. Seriously, it's just something you have to learn to deal with. Pressure and stress don't go away as you get older and have to take on more responsibility, they get worse. I think you'd be less stressed out if you spent less time wanting shiny new toys that you can't really afford and more time preparing to work for what you want when you're no longer living with your parents. I hope this doesn't come across harshly, but really you'll be out on your owner sooner that it seems now, and you'll be glad you learned how to exercise self-restraint, budget and save when the time comes that it's really necessary for you to do so.

7. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

Once you start getting a few paychecks from your new job, it would be nice of you to pass some money back to your folks. That way, you can repay them for some of the nice things they have bought for you.

8. chrismac00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

thanks for the help everyone. I really want to help them out by paying some of the bills.

9. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I don't really see what you are stressed about.

It seems you have to pay your iPhone bill. Why don't you spend your birthday money paying off the future bills?

Or save it college or for when you get out of college?

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I'm going with the "you already sound pretty spoiled and should be thankful with what you get" line. I realize it's going to sound very condescending, but you've already got pretty ridiculous excess for someone who's only 15.

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

We all want exciting new stuff, but we can't have it all the time. It's really that simple. Learn it while you're young so you can accept it with greater ease.
    You shouldn't assume it's your fault. No child should ever feel that financial problems are their fault, and that includes you (even with your excessive purchases). Your parents likely made other mistakes, and you shouldn't feel responsible for that.

However, take note and don't make the same mistakes they did. Take your money and pay off your bills first. Then, save the rest. Cut back on your needless spending and limit your luxury items to those few things you actually want, not what you think is in vogue.

12. djellison macrumors 68020

That's the problem. Why did you need a phone every two months? That is wastefull. Imagine all the cash spent on those. You didn't need every new iPod. There's several thousand dollars thrown away to satisfy an unjustifiable techno-habbit. Its a hideous excess. I've got a great salary, between my partner and I we're doing very well - plenty of disposable income - but I have had ONE cell phone for two years, and TWO MP3 players.

If all this hardware is something you've asked for from your parents, then they've got a right to be fairly pissed with you. It seems fairly selfish to have got these things if your family isn't dripping in cash.

14 years old and stressed over digital excess. Oh boy have you got some growing up to do.

Doug

13. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Yeah, you dont need that many phones, I have used the Nokia 6230 for some time now, although I will get a Android phone when they are out.

Although if I was offered new stuff all the time I know I wouldnt refuse.

As for saving, it is a good idea, im currently saving for my BlackBook.

Im 13 BTW :)

14. bartelby macrumors Core

Which means you joined MR before you were 13? :eek:

To the OP;
    Why did you need 10 phones in 2 years?
    I had 2 phones in that amount of time.

15. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

This has been discussed in many threads and yes I joined when I was 12.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

To the OP.

It's easy, and quite fun, to spend what you make.

However, the old adage of saving for a rainy day still holds true. You never know when you will have unexpected expenses that must be covered. These unexpected expenses cover the gambit -- they could be anything.

FWIW, those who get ahead, regardless of income level, always live below their means. To do this you must save and invest over time. You are young. Now is the time to start if you can. Make it a challenge to yourself to see how much you can save and invest instead of how many gadgets you can purchase.

An example of individuals trying to live beyond their means can be seen in the current husing mortgage crisis. People purchased homes that they realistically could not afford. Then when interest rates adjusted and went up, these individuals ended up not being able to make their loan payments. The result is lost homes and lives ruined.

Just some words to the wise.

17. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

If you are going to continue to save then I would put the money in the bank. $250 would be a good starting point. However, if you are not going to put any more into your account it's hardly worth it. In 5-10 years time $250 won't seem as much as it is now (when you have rent, bills and food $250 won't last long) but if you've been topping it up you could have a pretty decent amount put away. Saving is good but you need to keep at it.

18. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

If I were you I would pay my bills and go ahead and give the rest to your parents. I have a running tab for my boy, and I'm sure your parents do too. You might as well go ahead and start paying it down.:D You sound like an expensive kid.

19. chrismac00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

:D Thanks for all the advice people. I'm going to the bank today and I'm putting all the money in a savings account and I'm cutting my debit card as of this moment. Thank you. I really need to save for what's good I guess. :eek:

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Excellent advice.

21. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

That makes no sense. Why invest if you are just going to spend the interest?

Simply put, dumb.

Trust me, you won't regret this decision. Saving is fun and highly addictive... :D

22. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Job at mcdonalds, debit card. I thought you had to be well over 15 to do those things. Or is the law different where you live.

23. juanm macrumors 65816

Look at yourself in a mirror. Count to three. Slap yourself in the face. The harder, the better.

Going into debt (or struggling to pay for it) for something as stupid as phones, iPods, and such is plainly stupid. I hope my children won't turn up being like you (it's not like I'd let that happen)

24. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

25. chrismac00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can work at McDonalds. I have a debit card with my dad but it has my name, he just needed to cosign and I learned from my mistakes now and I don't want anyone to be like me, And no, I won't slap myself in the face thank you. :)

Actually $520/ But yeah, my aunts & uncles are..well..rich.