Parents threw box away! Resale? Disk??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WillEH, Jul 26, 2011.

1. WillEH, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Hi,

Had my MBP 2011 box stored at my parents house, told them to just leave it, etc. God behold they threw it away, it had all the disk for SL, etc. ( want to go back from Lion to SL )

Can't dwell on the past.

My question now is, in the future when I want to sell it, if I ever do, how much do you think it will effect the resale? Also any possible way I can get another SL disks? or do you think it's going to have to be a new one?

Just some simple questions :)

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

You can get replacement Restore DVDs from Apple for 15 to 30 USD (contact via telephone) or you could get a Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD for 29 USD, if your Mac came with a version earlier than the one on the Upgrade DVD (10.6.4 I guess).
    The resale value will be diminished by maybe 50 USD, nothing more.

3. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

All good, it costs £26 here, so about $50 for new disk.. great :D

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Remember that the retail OS disk will not come with the iLife applications.

5. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

How annoying... Lion is crap and slow!

6. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Can't blame your parents when it's their house and you left it there. So really it's your fault. Either way you can get replacement CDs.

7. norrismantooth macrumors regular

Did you just install Lion? Spotlight goes through a 2-hour indexing phase, which could cause it to seem slow. I've been on Lion for 2 days, it's as fast as SL was.

8. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Been on it since day one, slow boot up time, fans going crazy, heat going mad! Sluggish, etc.

9. simsaladimbamba

Really depends on the machine I guess. My C2D with 2GHz and 4GB DDR2 RAM doesn't really like Lion and Lion is still a bit buggy, thus going around the bugs will slow one down too.
    For instance, to use Mission Control via a third party mouse and a mouse button, I have to click the assigned mouse button twice/thrice to invoke MC, something which never happened with Exposé in Panther and upwards or Spaces in Leopard and upwards.
    I will test Lion further, but my current workflow seems to be really hampered by Lion (thus I only use my home machine for Lion).

10. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

For the record they "THREW" your box away.

When I buy used stuff I really like to get the box and such so, yeah that sucks.

Lion is just as fast as SL - without your iLife disks the pervious person is correct, even if you downgrade you'd have to do a clean install and would lose those apps. Don't know if that's a big deal though.

I'd call Apple customer support and tell them what happened, there's a good chance you'll end up with new disks for free if they have them.

11. davmcn macrumors regular

Are you kidding me ? I just installed it yesterday and it's just as fast as SL ,if not faster. :D I personally love it.

12. randomrazr macrumors 65816

u jsut bought the macbook, latest edition and ur already thinking of selling it?? LOL

13. windowstomac macrumors regular

I'm finding Lion as snappy as SL was, apart from boot time, which has got considerably slower.

14. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Shocked that I even spelt that wrong, just done a lovely 16 hour shift at work when I wrote that, forgive me :D

15. karohan macrumors 6502

If you want them for free, I'd imagine you could just say that your discs are damaged/not working properly and they'll send you replacements for free (you need to call Apple support; you can't go to the Apple Store or they'll tell you to call).

My discs actually did malfunction and they sent me replacements for free, without having me send back the old discs.

Once you get your discs, back up the disc image files on your computer, so you never have to worry about losing/damaging those discs again.

16. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

They told me about 10 for replacement disks when i called.