Paris in Springtime

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BBC B 32k, Apr 2, 2008.

1. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

Me, my daughter (11) and my partner are planning a short break to Paris. April 16 - 20th. Traveling on Eurostar.

Any of our French friends have any tips or advice, especially on how to get a decent size room at a decent rate. Have just found out how low the pound is to the Euro :eek:

Have been considering renting a private apartment - seems a common option in Paris. Anyone else ever done this sort of thing? Anyone here fancy renting their apartment for a few days? :D

Pray for sunshine for us.

2. Queso macrumors G4

A decent sized hotel room in Paris? :confused:

:D:D:D

Sorry, but best of luck with that one ;)

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

4. shikimo macrumors 6502

No idea what sort of budget or size you're looking for, but when my wife and I go to Paris we've been staying here:

http://www.ibishotel.com/ibis/fichehotel/gb/ibi/0771/fiche_hotel.shtml

There is also another ibis in la Defense, just up the road from this one. The rates are outstanding by Paris standards (especially on the weekends, as it's primarily a business spot), the place is clean and safe, and you are a short subway ride from all the goodies. There isn't much going on right around either hotel, but you're probably not looking to share Paris night life with an 11-year-old.:)

If you're looking for something a little nicer, please re-post: we know of several very nice b&b style joints in the centre ville. Still, dynamicv is right: even luxury hotels in Paris are pretty freakin' tiny.

Don't have any knowledge of apartment rental in Paris, but I'd be careful and get everything in writing...

...and one more suggestion: check the news the week before and see who's going to be on strike. I don't think four days go by in Paris without some group of workers taking the day off to march in the street, and it can range from entertaining to devastating from a tourist's point of view (i.e. lawyers or students on strike=fun to watch; subway drivers on strike=ruined vacation).

5. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Ibis is part of the Accor chain and there's an Accor hotel in the center of Paris that I've stayed in before. I think I was in a Mercure. Anyway, the prices are cheap and the hotels are all the same. As long as you just need a place to sleep, they're great deals.

6. BBC B 32k thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all your help, just in from work. I have had lots of offers of apartments to rent come in form the web. Some look nice, others do not :D

There seems on nice place in la Defense area, is this a nice area? I seems outside of the city centre. The apartment is on the 15th floor of a 1960s looking concrete block, but does have a municipal pool and ice rink etc at its base. Would this be a nice area to stay or should I opt for a bijou apartment in the centre?

As for romance :eek: I am trying to find an apartment with a separate bedroom. Or pay a huge sum for two joining hotel rooms. Ah the joy of Paris.

Thanks again for the help.

Still no one wanting to rent me their home? :p

7. bartelby macrumors Core

Me and the wife are going to Paris on the 28th April. Fortunately we're staying with friends.

I've only been once before but I already love the place.

I hope you have a great time.

8. BBC B 32k thread starter macrumors 6502

Here is to good weather in the Parisian springtime.

9. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Oh yea. Those rooms are made for just changing your mind and that is it. However, you shouldn't be in your room much if in Paris. TOOOOOOOOO much to see and do. Moulin Rouge is still an amazing place and an amazing show. Been there three times and each time just wowed by the entertainment.
    Of course that was back in the late 80s so I hope it is there.
    Louvre is also a must see.
    One of my favorite cities.

10. BBC B 32k thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, the Ibis chain seems to only sleep two to a room. Yes something a little nicer would be good. Any ideas, any areas of Paris to try and avoid? Ideally we would like a separate bedroom. Is that just not going to happen. Budget of about 150 - 175 euros per night.

Thanks again.

11. shikimo macrumors 6502

You never know, but in my experience there will be no separate bedroom in that price range in a neighborhood in which you want to stay in the city center. You never know, though, and if you find an apartment in that price range congratulations!

Most ibis have adjoining-room capacity, but that doesn't make it any nicer:). Someone mentioned a Mercure in the city center, but I promise you that will notably more expensive than an ibis, and not that much nicer.

If the joint you found in la Defense is in your range and has two bedrooms, I say go for it; like I said above, it's the 'skyscraper,' shiny business part of town, probably the newest part of Paris, but with affordable lodging and very close to the sights (if there's no transit strike of course:)). You can't walk out of your hotel and be in the middle of things in 10 seconds, but to me you make it up in value, quiet and not having to worry about getting ripped off (not too many tourists around there). Then again, for others it's worth it to pay to stay in the center.

12. BBC B 32k thread starter macrumors 6502

By separate bedrooms I mean sofa bed in lounge and proper bed in bedroom. I have been finding out about the Defense area of Paris and it seems pretty cool so we may aim for that area and just get the tube in each day.

Is Disney easy to get to from this area? We may spoil the little one for one day.

Link to the apartment details any help or relevant opinions would be great.

Thanks

13. shikimo macrumors 6502

I think that place looks great. Don't put too much stock in their attempt to sell La Defense as a tourist attraction--although it's fun to look at for a bit, there is too much other really great stuff to see and do in Paris--but it seems like it's close to the train, has a cool view and seems well-appointed. You never know, but I'm also encouraged by the fact that they took the time to have a native speaker translate the website...just a little touch of professionalism, and it's kinda rare here :p.

All I know about Eurodisney is it's at a stop called Marne-La-Vallee, it's a ways north of Paris, and you can get there entirely by train from downtown, but it takes quite a while (maybe a couple hours? just guessing). The TGV stops there, if you wanna go luxe.

14. BBC B 32k thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Shikimo for all the help. Looks like a safe bet then - La Defense here we come. Previously we have not made it past Lille, which has always been great fun.

Just enough time to brush up on my rather limited french.

15. shikimo macrumors 6502

Cool--have a great time!