parititoning my MBP for dual boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aoaaron, Feb 25, 2013.

1. aoaaron macrumors 6502

Hi, I have downloaded refit to allow an EFI to boot into windows or mac.

I have then partitioned my drive so I have 40GB dedicated to potential windows 7.

I would now like to clone my windows 7 nettop drive and install it to the 40GB partition. which programs do I need to do this?

_______
    I have already tried doing a clean install of windows 7 but it is not working. I only have a USB drive and an external harddrive and neither are recognised by Refit when I try to use them as a bootable drive to install from USB.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Don't think you need refit, I am pretty sure it worked without it, I installed W7 just a week ago and I am pretty sure I installed Refit after this to allow Linux on a third partition.

As for copying Windows from another disk, I think you can just drag and drop it on the partition unlike OS X, but then make sure Invisible files are shown in OS X.

Edit: Needs to be NTFS and normally OS X does not allow write access to NTFS out of the box.

3. MacKid macrumors 6502

I tried that a few days back, and ran into generic disk errors when copying some of the core Windows system files. I spent 2 or 3 days looking for answers, and everything came down to either doing that's clumsy Backup & Restore business onto a new drive, or using a third-party disk cloning utility.

I just ended up doing a fresh install of Windows, but I don't think it'll be as simple for him as just a drag & drop copy.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Or use the terminal which might be a better option, copy block by block.

5. aoaaron thread starter macrumors 6502

I wish i could do a fresh install but i have no drivers.

can someone point me in the direction of some cloning software?

I presume i need a windows version of the software and then the mac equivalent to do a decent import?

if someone could give me instructions for how to use my external HD to

1. backup windows HD
    2. transfer windows HD to mac through OSX

that would be great