Parking Ticket

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by go0sebumpz, Aug 15, 2011.

1. go0sebumpz macrumors newbie

I just got a parking ticket for parking in a city late at night. To be specific it is in southern california in Alhambra if anyone is familiar with that area. My question is, do I have to pay the ticket if they wrote my license plate wrong on the ticket? Meaning that if I try to pay it through the internet, I can't pull up the citation through my plates because they wrote my license plate incorrectly on the citation... Although if I pull up the citation through its number, I can find the ticket. Just a question can I get away with it or not? What do you guys think?

2. Perihelion macrumors regular

3. go0sebumpz thread starter macrumors newbie

Forgot to say, does it make any difference if the plate is off because 1 number is off? Example they put a 0 instead of the letter O

4. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Is the VIN# on the ticket, and is that accurate?

5. go0sebumpz thread starter macrumors newbie

No the VIN is not on the ticket it has only 4 numbers of my VIN because I have a pod that covers the rest of the VIN.

6. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

If it were me, I'd get the license number corrected and pay it but I'm probably in the minority.

7. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Why the hell would you do that?

OP, you lucked out. If the license plate is wrong, that means you never got a ticket.

8. codymac macrumors 6502

I feel sorry for the schmuck whose license plate number is on your ticket.

9. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Was the ticket placed on your windshield or mailed? If it was mailed to you with a picture of the plate, write them back claiming it's not your vehicle. If it's placed on you windshield, pay it. They'll track down the mistake later on and tack on a late fee, even though it THEIR mistake. You can't fight City Hall.

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Try doing that the next time you get a citation and you'll see what "no good deed goes unpunished" really means. ;)

Bureaucracy and reason don't mix.

Assuming the plate is a non-unique California plate, then the plate number on the ticket matches no one in the state. CA uses a standard numeral and letter mix and the meter maid confused a 0 with an O (how a meter maid even does that is beyond me).

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm with the rest, wrong plate # = no pay.

Now, what part of MacRumors suggested this was the place to register and discuss outstanding parking violations?

12. go0sebumpz thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah.. thanks for the replies! Getting mixed responses. But yes it was placed on my windshield :( I've gotten parking tickets from my college campus before with the same mistake because my plates is a custom plate with only 5 letters/numbers. I didn't pay that ticket and nothing has ever came up or shown in mail...

13. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Agreed.

And hey, if we an ask for relationship advice on here, and is home to blog-central's very own Waloshin, why not parking violations?

14. go0sebumpz thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, just thought macrumors community "discussion" was a good place to ask for something that I needed opinions on since a lot of people here are knowledgeable in many fields... if not mods can remove if this isn't the place to ask for help.

15. StvenH90 macrumors regular

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think you're off the hook then. CA doesn't use 0s and Os in the same spots, so an autofilter would have caught the obvious mistake by the meter maid. Since yours is custom though, I think it's going to bounce back.

17. go0sebumpz thread starter macrumors newbie

I would understand why many get my plates confused with the 0's and O's. My plate is my model year of my car specifically a 2003. Hence my plate would be O3 but with the letter. Tricky for many meter maids or so it seems ;)

18. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Yeah--you are probably right. In retrospect, I guess I would just sit on it unless I got something else in the mail. :eek:

19. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

Do the right thing, go to the courthouse and inquire about the ticket if they tell you to pay, pay it, They might just tell you forget it since the tag was incorrect. How would you feel if someone did that to you and you were the one with the tag number? This is what is wrong with society today, no one wants to do the right thing. No morals, let someone else pay for our mistakes. Sad, Sad, Sad.

20. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Agreed. Take it to court.. there's a good chance the judge could throw it out for the mistake.

Or he'll make you pay it. Either way, next time follow the parking regulations and you won't get a ticket. :p

21. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

^Agreed.

You're fine. fireshot91 said it well.

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Most states treat O and 0 the same in terms of use. They do not use both. Chances are if it says O and it is a 0 it still going to nail your plates.

But 1 numbers off consider you self lucky and you saved 30 bucks or so. I know if they did that on my car I would say oh do not have to pay it.

Hell I still have a Ticket from TTU I never paid and never will pay. I know the inner workings of how TTU parking system works and I know it will never be linked back to me so it will be a unpaid parking ticket forever. Hell the car it was on was totaled 5 years ago. Yes it was a valid ticket and yes it was my fault but still no going to pay it.