parrallels performance

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dwbrown77, Mar 4, 2008.

1. dwbrown77 macrumors newbie

Hello, I am thinking of moving from windows but have to keep foot in both worlds. How well does paralles perform, I think I will be going with the macbook.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What applications do you plan on running? I use Visual Studio and Office 2007 in my virtual machine. They're both very responsive. I suggest getting as much RAM as possible as well.

3. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

yeah. RAM makes a big difference with Parallels. It performs very well but like Eidorian said, depends on your applications. I wouldn't count on it for 3D unless you test it first. I tried a while ago and it was poor but then I saw a youtube vid and it seemed to play COD fine.

4. dwbrown77 thread starter macrumors newbie

applications i use

I plan on using Office 2007 and some Bible programs. Libronix (used to be Logos) and Bible Navigator.

5. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

If you have atleast 2 Gigs of ram, and a Dual-Core processor Parallels will suit all your non-3D needs. Its actually pretty fast. When I first used it I was expecting something comparable to VirtualPC.. HAHAHA, thank god its not even close.

6. dwbrown77 thread starter macrumors newbie

define 3d

Hi, I am assming that office 2007 and the bible programs i mentioned are not 3d programs.

7. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Consider Fusion as well. I started with Parallels but switched to Fusion once Leopard was on my system and Parallels didn't want to cooperate.

Yes, some benchmarks show that Parallels is slightly faster, but I find Fusion boots up from a paused state a lot faster. I also find it a lot more user friendly.

8. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

3D meaning Graphics heavy programs that render 3D animation, such as games or professional applications. Parallels will be fine for what you want to do, sorry for any confusion.

9. dwbrown77 thread starter macrumors newbie

fusion info

Interesting, I note from the Fusion website that you can assign different cores to different virtual machines. I am assuming that this means that mac os could have one of the cores and windows the other. Therefore, the performance of one should not really affect the other?

Does Parrallels do this? and is there some function I would miss in one or the other. I mainly want the best engine for pasting/moving back and forth (as if they were both windows) aka. I love office 2007, I have to have my bible programs but I want to start to experience use apple.