Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darshan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
hey guys (b4 everyone goes on a rampage and telling me to do research)...

let me just say i have...

but since new versions of these two came out and no one has done a comparison i thought i might (and with sincere apology if it has been repeated)

so what do you guys think is the best suitable/STABLE companion to run windows

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
VMWare Fusion. It's dreamy.

Parallels 3.0 was a nightmare for me.

I use VMWare on 4 different Macs, and they are great. Plus when they upgrade their software, you get that upgrade for free. For life!

qveda

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
security when using vmware or parallels

Hi,
I'm about to purchase VMware to run the remaining windows XP applications that I couldn't migrate to my new Mac Pro. I'd appreciate help from this Forum. I have a few questions:

1) I use Time Machine to backup my Mac to an external hard drive. Seems to work great , although I've never tried to restore from it.
Will I need additional s/w to backup Windows documents, or use the rudimentary Backup software the come with XP. ?

2) I suppose I can't backup the windows files to the same ext drive I use for the Mac. What is recommended? (I don't expect to have very much data that will need to be backed up)

3) I don't have any antivirus s/w for my Mac (yet) and not sure I really need it. If I only launch Windows when needed, and then close it, will I need to get antivirus software for Windows?

Thanks!

qveda

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
never mind. i called the apple store and they answered my 3 questions. yes, need separate backup s/w. VMware and Parallels come with antivirus s/w.

I'm a Mac

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Parallels 3.0 started out great but somewhere along the way it became a nightmare. AND, 3 less than a year later when the new software came out they expect me to pay for an upgrade? I've downloaded the demo of vmware and it seems great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.