Parrallels vs VMware

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by darshan, Jan 24, 2009.

1. darshan macrumors member

hey guys (b4 everyone goes on a rampage and telling me to do research)...

let me just say i have...

but since new versions of these two came out and no one has done a comparison i thought i might (and with sincere apology if it has been repeated)

so what do you guys think is the best suitable/STABLE companion to run windows

2. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

VMWare Fusion. It's dreamy.

Parallels 3.0 was a nightmare for me.

I use VMWare on 4 different Macs, and they are great. Plus when they upgrade their software, you get that upgrade for free. For life!

3. qveda macrumors regular

security when using vmware or parallels

Hi,
    I'm about to purchase VMware to run the remaining windows XP applications that I couldn't migrate to my new Mac Pro. I'd appreciate help from this Forum. I have a few questions:

1) I use Time Machine to backup my Mac to an external hard drive. Seems to work great , although I've never tried to restore from it.
    Will I need additional s/w to backup Windows documents, or use the rudimentary Backup software the come with XP. ?

2) I suppose I can't backup the windows files to the same ext drive I use for the Mac. What is recommended? (I don't expect to have very much data that will need to be backed up)

3) I don't have any antivirus s/w for my Mac (yet) and not sure I really need it. If I only launch Windows when needed, and then close it, will I need to get antivirus software for Windows?

Thanks!

4. qveda macrumors regular

never mind. i called the apple store and they answered my 3 questions. yes, need separate backup s/w. VMware and Parallels come with antivirus s/w.

5. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

Parallels 3.0 started out great but somewhere along the way it became a nightmare. AND, 3 less than a year later when the new software came out they expect me to pay for an upgrade? I've downloaded the demo of vmware and it seems great.

6. TrickyX macrumors newbie

Parallels vs VMWare vs VirtualBox

Hello all. I just finished putting up some Benchmarks of Windows 7 using the latest builds of Parallels, Fusion and VirtualBox with both x86 and x64 based images on various Macs. More results coming soon.

http://www.techbuzzwords.com/mac/macv/win7bench/win7bench.html

Tricky