Parrot AR.Drone Wi-Fi Quadricopter for iPhone --- too cool

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by asleep, Aug 17, 2010.

1. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Check out iLounge's preview of this:

Parrot's AR.Drone ($300), the "Wi-Fi Quadricopter" that's also being billed as "the Flying Video Game," has finally arrived in final packaging, complete with its final shipping price tag and first application, Free Flight. Debuted at CES earlier this year, AR.Drone is a hovercraft-like flying device that you control using an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad over Wi-Fi, complete with the ability to look through its two on-board cameras while it's flying, using game apps for a next-generation entertainment experience...

Read & see more: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/re...i-fi-quadricopter-for-iphone-ipod-touch-ipad/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

I like the look of that 'Emergency' button in the last pic :p I wonder what it does!?

This seems like a really good idea and hopefully not the only one of its kind. I know a few people who love flying miniature planes and some have cameras on. If this type of thing was put into flying one of those model planes it would be awesome.

3. alFR macrumors 68020

Aaaand the UK gets ripped off again, with a £ for $ conversion of the US price making the cost about £50-70 more than it should be (allowing for the VAT). Nice one, Parrot.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Were that I was rich enough to fritter good money away on toys ... :cool:

5. alFR macrumors 68020

Not necessarily a toy - I can think of plenty of work-related uses for this (if the camera's good enough, of course) e.g. surveying the roof/walls of buildings for damage.

Anyway, by the same logic, surely you didn't need to fritter that money away on an expensive iPhone and data plan? A cheapo dumb phone would make calls just as well... ;)

6. fraca7 macrumors newbie

Just bought it. This is what I call entertainment :) I expect even more fun when I'll have downloaded the SDK and played with it a bit :)

@kAoTiX: the "Emergency" button shuts down the motors. Use only in, well, emergency situations because the drone will fall directly to the ground.

7. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

we don't get to bring ours home until September 4th in Houston :mad:

8. xraytech macrumors 68030

I was too late for the initial batch, so I have to wait till September. :mad:

9. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Saw this a few weeks ago on The Gadget Show (A show in the UK) Looks incredible! A little pricey though haha.

10. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I need it for very important tasks for my very important work.* ;)

*actually my iPhone has saved my bacon many times at work, especially when traveling.

12. asleep thread starter macrumors 68040

asleep

You could spy on your neighbors with this, no? :eek:

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If they're deaf and blind, possibly.

Although if that describes your neighbors then a helicopter may be serious overkill.

14. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

This reply is full of win. :D
    I demand a video of you using it, and also video captured from it during use! :p

I honestly couldn't justify purchasing something like this without having children, I'm simply too old for 'toys' regardless if they're high priced and high tech. That doesn't stop me from buying my own high tech gadgetry though :D

15. ddavid macrumors regular

I HAVE kids and I'm not gonna let them touch MY toy! Go for it!

16. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Now if only they could develop this for the military's raven UAV, that would be awesome. The only problem is signal. The places we would fly it would most likely be lacking any kind of data reception and wi-fi is hard to come by on overseas bases.

17. fraca7 macrumors newbie

18. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

This looks very cool...something tells me though that the range of the wifi will be quite limiting.

19. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

As I understand it (and I could be wrong), but doesn't it create an ad hoc network with your phone, so it basically works wherever your phone wifi signal will reach...i.e. no wifi network required?

Otherwise, it lost a lot of coolness for me. Won't be much fun if I can't play with it in my backyard where my wifi network doesn't reach.

20. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

The old saying goes:

The difference between men and boys is the price of our toys. :D

21. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Yeah that's exactly what it does. It doesn't work like a real predator drone via satellite, cellular or directional antenna.

22. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Looks awesome. I'll pick one up after the price drops a bit.

23. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

that's pretty sweet. I would think the military would be able to develop something like this for the smaller unarmed UAV's. During my training with the Raven, we had a hand held control (think oversized sega game gear) and little antenna's that we popped up. It gave us a limited range, but I would think since this creates it's own network, they could do the same for the Raven and the only range limiter would be the battery life (which hopefully will improve later as well). We were able to sync it up to a computer as well to watch a live feed and see it's location on a map. As long as the antenna's were taking care of GPS, I wouldn't have to worry about the A-GPS in phone.

.......maybe I should write a letter to the DoD, but I'm sure they are already making something that I'll never have the privilege of knowing about.

24. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

This looks terrific! A pricey toy for sure, but I really like the live video.

Those of you getting one, please keep the rest of us updated with reviews and experiences!

25. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Regrettably this works both ways - it just a matter of time until technology like this is used by extremists/rogue states to deliver harmful payloads....