Part number for LCD 17" PBG4 1.67 (not DLHR)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gavinstubbs09, Jun 27, 2014.

1. gavinstubbs09, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014

gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Recently bought one of these beast 17 inchers (my god are they huge!) and my display has lines so I need to replace it. Looking on ebay I see parts for the 1.0-1.5 and then the DLHR, but none talking about my 12.67 (A1107). Is it possible to use any display from the 1.0-1.5 without an issue?

I'm sure it won't make a difference but this PowerBook is a refub and the serial starts with YD5xxxxxx. And it's a PowerBook 5,7

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, you can use any display from the lo res versions. The connector only changed with the high res version and that's only because the resolution changed.

Welcome to the 17" club Gavin! They may be huge, but they're awesome!!!

3. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Good to know! Just wanted to make sure before I went buying parts. I am in love with it, I now see why so many people were bummed the rMBP was only the 13/15"! Killer deal. $40 with ram maxed to 2GB, 100GB HDD, AirPort, Bluetooth, in really good shape. Time to buy some parts and I'll trot around with it from now on!

Attached Files:

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Gavin, I found two for you…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-PowerBook-G4-A1085-Aluminum-17-Complete-LCD-Screen-Bezel-Hinges-GR-A-/301175698679?pt=US_Laptop_Screens_LCD_Panels&hash=item461f7874f7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-App...Laptop_Screens_LCD_Panels&hash=item2590b20926

Believe it or not, these two are about the best price you will find. I paid $80 or so for my LCD for my A1013 three or four years ago so the prices have stayed consistent.

I love my two 17" PowerBook G4s!!!

MODS: THESE ARE NOT MY AUCTIONS, I AM JUST PROVIDING LINKS!!!!

5. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Thanks for the links! Bought the $80 one. Can't wait to get it installed!

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That's great, glad I could find one for you!!!

Just follow the iFixit guide. It's not hard at all, just a lot of steps. Looking forward to seeing it!

7. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I'll take a look at iFixit. Next up, keyboard and a few screws! Trying to make this my best laptop out of my bunch. Lucked out, the people had it listed for $120 obo and that was about 2 weeks ago. I came across it last night and offered $40 (knowing I would probably be up to $80) but they were totally cool with it! Today was their last day before moving, truly lucked out there.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That is too cool! Great score man. I love the 17"s, they were the only PowerBooks I ever seriously wanted and are one of the reasons that motivated me to move to Mac to begin with.

USB 2.0, BT 2.0 (with the wireless update you can use a Magic Mouse!), two finger scrolling native and trackpad tap to click. Very nice systems with a widescreen display!

Best thing is that you have some serious room for where you want to place your hands. No crimping up because of a lack of palmrests.

Enjoy your Mac. Especially the looks you will get when you pull it out of a case too!!!

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Just a quick question, did you connect a DVI monitor to the video out to ensure it wasn't the GPU? It looks like the LCD but I would test the GPU before dropping serious dough into it.

10. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I should have done that earlier! But I did just plug it in and no lines on the external screen.

----------

I'm stoked that it has Bluetooth and USB 2.0. Most of my previous PPC iBooks/Laptops had Airport but no BT and few had USB 2.0. I love the trackpad on it too, one of the things i hated with my 1GHz iBook was not having the 2 finger scroll until I installed iScroll. And man, thing is huge. I can tell this laptop was hardly taken places! 320 charge cycles on the original battery.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Glad to hear the GPU is good. The trackpad on my 1.67 GHz 15" is fantastic. In fact, I may even like it more than the one on my Intel MacBook Pro! I do prefer the keyboard on my PowerBook to the one on my MacBook.

12. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I like the trackpad on my MBP more, but keyboard definitely goes to the PB/early MBPs! Can't wait to put my MBP aside and use the 17", will be interesting!

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I have no problems taking my PowerBook over my MacBook Pro so long as I have Leopard on it, 2 GB of RAM, and I disabled BeamSync. Those three things and I have no problem taking it as a daily driver portable.