part number for thunderbolt cable for

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lasloduncan, Apr 11, 2017.

1. lasloduncan macrumors regular

2013 imac in order to chain external hard drives..-seems like a simple request hahhahah--wrong. my option is to bother this forum...or the dreaded apple support, that usually goes with much angst,- wear down two new friendly chipper less informed than I am trainees, then after an hour several dozens screens read to me ver batem over the phone. I get an "advisor" who knows what they are doing are fully trained, not drunk, and somewhat burned out.

not anything I look forward to...thanks for you help, guidance or just tell me where to look- plug in my serial # and walla...thank you for your trouble not sure why this is so difficult. apple store is 100 miles away --so part number and will order online..

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Thunderbolt is thunderbolt, so your choice, eh?

How long do you want that cable to be?

I guess you forgot to search for "Thunderbolt cables" at Apple's web site, so here's a couple of links to Apple's order pages:
    Apple-online has two lengths that are Apple branded, .5 and 2 meters - https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD862LL/A/apple-thunderbolt-cable-05-m

They also sell other brands for more length, up to 60 meters, if you need a really long distance
    https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HF6S2ZM/A/thunderbolt-optical-cable-by-corning-200-ft60-m
    Yeah, lots of $, but there it is if you need it.
    One caveat -- you will find both Thunderbolt, and Thunderbolt 3. You don't want the TB 3 cables for your 2013 iMac.

So, there's a couple of links for you. There's a dropdown on each page, so you can decide on the length you need.

3. lasloduncan thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your help
    --- Post Merged, Apr 15, 2017 ---
    apparently what I need is tb 2 both in cable, dock and drive...?? now to find that used but still good...not much chance of that -- thanks again