Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shiun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Hi all....

Has any one ever experience a portion of the touchscreen not reacting to touch?
One of my friend's iPhone has this problem, but it only happens to the 2nd level GUI.
When at the home screen, it works fine, but when he goes into mail,SMS or any other app, the lower potion of the touchscreen do not react to touch...
About a 1/4 inch from the base of the touchscreen.
Now he is unable to reply any SMS or enter "space" in a message or change the keyboard into the 'numbers and symbols' menu.

Do you guys think that it is a hardware or software error?
I tried restoring the phone a couple of time but the problem still remains...

Has anyone experienced this and any solutions out there?
Thanks in advance~!

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Hi all....

Has any one ever experience a portion of the touchscreen not reacting to touch?
One of my friend's iPhone has this problem, but it only happens to the 2nd level GUI.
When at the home screen, it works fine, but when he goes into mail,SMS or any other app, the lower potion of the touchscreen do not react to touch...
About a 1/4 inch from the base of the touchscreen.
Now he is unable to reply any SMS or enter "space" in a message or change the keyboard into the 'numbers and symbols' menu.

Do you guys think that it is a hardware or software error?
I tried restoring the phone a couple of time but the problem still remains...

Has anyone experienced this and any solutions out there?
Thanks in advance~!

Considering there doesn't seem to be any problems with the home screen, only in apps, I'd say it's more than likely a software problem.
Still, get it checked by an Apple technician.

I3eXa

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2004
IdaPIMP
nope, my first iphone had this problem and apple told me it was a 'bad batch' of phones, any chance yours is a 4GB like mine? Anyways, I had to send it in and get a replacement.

shiun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2007
my friend's iPhone is one of the 8Gb 1.1.4 batch of iPhones...
so far i have not seen anyone posting of such problems as yet...

To make things worse... we are in Singapore... so no tech support for us~

To me, i would think that it is a software problem probably with one of the 3rd part apps installed.
But i have restored the phone again and again but the problem still would not go away.

I would like to know if there is a way whereby i would be able to clear out the OS in the iPhone and do a fresh install of the OS into it? (other than the regular restores from iTunes)
Could it be one of the apps that rendered some files in the iPhone corrupted?

jwifferdill

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2007
Minnesota
My 4gb just started doing this also. Now I am unable to use certain letters and numbers on the keypad, and also can't touch certain portions of the screen in my contacts. The home screen works fine, just not a segment in the mid to upper half of the screen in certain applications.

mamamac74

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2008
Yes, and Apple f@ked me!

The same thing happened to my pristine (still) locked phone (w/no 3rd party apps) after only having it for about 2 months, and while I paid 30 bucks for a temp replacement phone (from Apple), the repair center played with it, sent it back to me and said "We are sorry to inform you that we were unable to repair your phone due to damage caused by abuse or unauthorized alterations that voided your warranty."

(WTF?? :confused:Abuse?:confused: My iPhone was treated (almost)better than I treated my kids when they were newborn babies!)

Can I say PISSED!!?? I have since purchased the new 16gb, and now my camera function does not work. I have been all over the forums, tried every step listed, wasted my time and compounded my frustration with this $600 P-O-S iPhone that I am now stuck with.

>$1000 wasted in the span of four months for a freaking phone is way to excessive for my lifestyle. I am just waiting for my contract to run out so I can switch to something more reliable. I love the concept of the iPhone, but I seriously doubt that I will stay with it. (Maybe I'll just keep my :apple: shares, since the stock seems to be back on the rise...)

I don't know what to tell you. I hope you have better luck than me with this issue.
Now I own an (almost-new) 8gb iPhone that I can't even sell because Apple couldn't/wouldn't/didn't fix it. :mad:

chwhale

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2007
My 4gb just started doing this also. Now I am unable to use certain letters and numbers on the keypad, and also can't touch certain portions of the screen in my contacts. The home screen works fine, just not a segment in the mid to upper half of the screen in certain applications.

Same here man. My 8gb, not-jailbroken phone quit responding to touch on the very top part of my screen quit.

h2200161813

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
i had this happen today

I had the same problem occur today, after spending an hour on on the phone and driving 60 miles apple decided to wave the fee on the loner phone and fix mine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.