Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheHotFire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
Here's the deal:

I got a Macbook (white) about a year old:
2.1 Ghz Intel
2 GB ram
OS 10.5.6

...to replace my Mac Mini with a La Cie 250GB external drive.

Mini itunes library set up to refer to the La Cie.

Process:
Threw away my iTunes folder on the macbook.
Copied the iTunes folder from my mini onto a flash drive.
Copied the iTunes folder to the location of the itunes folder of the macbook.
Connected the La Cie drive with my song files to the Macbook.
Started iTunes on the Macbook.
Consolidated the Macbook iTunes library.

Result:
All songs found going back from present to 7/30/05. From 7/30/05 to 6/21/05, representing some 6,000 songs, "can not be found because the original file cannot be found."

21GB are available on my Macbook, so it is not a space issue. The songs will still play from the Mini connected to the La Cie, so I know they are there.

I really need to maintain my library going from machine to machine. If anyone can help, I will be very appreciative. Thanks. ©

bigpz1981

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2008
Here's the deal:

I got a Macbook (white) about a year old:
2.1 Ghz Intel
2 GB ram
OS 10.5.6

...to replace my Mac Mini with a La Cie 250GB external drive.

Mini itunes library set up to refer to the La Cie.

Process:
Threw away my iTunes folder on the macbook.
Copied the iTunes folder from my mini onto a flash drive.
Copied the iTunes folder to the location of the itunes folder of the macbook.
Connected the La Cie drive with my song files to the Macbook.
Started iTunes on the Macbook.
Consolidated the Macbook iTunes library.

Result:
All songs found going back from present to 7/30/05. From 7/30/05 to 6/21/05, representing some 6,000 songs, "can not be found because the original file cannot be found."

21GB are available on my Macbook, so it is not a space issue. The songs will still play from the Mini connected to the La Cie, so I know they are there.

I really need to maintain my library going from machine to machine. If anyone can help, I will be very appreciative. Thanks. ©

I'd recommend finding out where about on your computer those inaccessible files are located and go from there. To do this, find one of those songs that you can't play, right click and select the "GET INFO" option. From there, select "SUMMARY" tab and towards the bottom you'll see a section that says "WHERE". This will tell you where on your computer the file that go along with the song is located. Then you should find a song that actually plays, and do the same process. Once you find out the location of the file of a song that plays, you should move the files of the songs that aren't working to that folder.

Hopefully this helps. Best of luck....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.