Parted with my dough and bought 27" iMac!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Billy Hoke, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Billy Hoke macrumors member

Yesterday I purchased my first iMac, or any mac for that matter. I have been browsing these forums as a guest for a month or so now to get as much information as possible.
    I decided to sign up simply due to the fact that I can no longer hold my excitement.

So far, so good despite most users scaring the hell out of me with every thread that I read. I have gone through my iMac with a fine tooth comb and so far all is good.

I should probably get to the specs now eh?
    Its a brand new 27" :apple: iMac, i5 Quad-Core with all the standard specs apart from a soon to be RAM upgrade.

This is the first time I have ever used a Mac and im loving it so far. The only problem is that im working the overnight shift for the next few nights. So my days comprise of sleep, waking up for dinner, then going off to work again. :(

If you have any hints, tips, tricks or suggestions for a former 8 or so year Windows veteran, please share.

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I came to Apple after using Windows for twelve years. You will go far with this simple mantra: forget all that you learned from Windows. Let it come naturally.

Seriously, when you feel like something should be as simple as drag-and-drop, it is! MacOS X is the most human-friendly OS around. Just sit back and think "hm, how would I do this?" and it should all come to you without too much thought.

Congrats on your iMac. Ize so jelluz.

3. Billy Hoke thread starter macrumors member

Thanks mate. Yeah, I have only spent an hour or so trying to get used to everything and noticed that un-installing a program was as easy as a drag and drop?
    Please tell me im wrong...?

I might use it a little more once I get home, despite being a walking zombie. Started work at 10 last night and its currently 9am, still got 4 hours to go. :|

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I know it's addictive. I couldn't put mine down, the first day. After two-years I still feel good every time I wake up and pop my MacBook Pro open.

Oh yes, it is THAT easy. Get used to that feeling of shock. XD

5. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

It will be frustrating at first, I was a 16 year windows user.

But after a couple weeks, you'll never want to go back.

6. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

I think you mean after a couple days not weeks you wont want to go back. ;)

7. Billy Hoke thread starter macrumors member

I love it so far. At first it seemed that $2600 for a computer may have been a bit much, but hopefully this one will last me a while.

8. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

*puts away circa 2000 iBook*

You hope what now? LUL You would be shocked at the number of people that still use G4's as their main computer, even though G4's were discontinued in 2006.

9. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

I had a macbook air, and just bought a brand new macbook pro on friday.. and yet i use my early 2006 iMac mainly. It works flawlessly and out-performs what I need it for. I have had to invest ZERO dollars into this machine until today, when I spent a few dollars on adding some new RAM :D

To the OP: Congrats :) You will love it. Thats a wonderful computer and have some fun on it!