All iPads Partial charging

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Hacks, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Hacks macrumors member

I have an iPad mini 2. I often find myself in a situation in which the battery is low but I only have limited time to charge it before having to hit the road again. For example, I may have 20% left and only have half an hour to plug it in, which might bring me to 55%.

My question is, is that bad for the battery?

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Not to the extend that you'll notice it. Give this a read.

3. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I've read that it doesn't hurt them.
    I do this when necessary. I buy these devices to use them, so if you have to give it a little juice to finish your day, then do it. I don't make a habit of doing this but most certainly do it when I need to.

4. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can plug or unplug at any time, regardless of the percentage charge. It will not hurt the battery.

6. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

Exactly. A lot of myths about battery health persist from the days of inferior battery technology (ie. Ni-Cad batteries). There's not much you can do aside from physical damage or using it in extreme temperatures that will really harm a lithium-ion battery. They don't need to be "conditioned", and they don't exhibit a "memory effect" which caused Ni-cad batteries to essentially "forget" their max capacity of you didn't charge them all the way.

7. Jeff R macrumors 6502

Jeff R

Good read! I guess "Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better." Come to think of it, Apple's batteries lasts longer compared to other brands (based on my experience).

8. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I don't know about that. There's nothing magical about Apple batteries. They're the same lithium-ion cells as everyone else.