Partial Leopard Refund?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Paul Wright, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Paul Wright macrumors regular

Paul Wright

This may sound stupid, but i bought leopard less than a week ago, and i installed it and all the usual stuff but now apple have decided to replace my laptop so i will get a new one with leopard on it, will my bought leopard be useless to sell on, and would apple give me a partial if not full refund on the leopard OS?

Paul

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I doubt Apple will refund it. Just sell it on eBay. Or even here in the marketplace. You could probably get close to $100 for it, I would think. If I didn't already have it, I would buy it from you for that.

3. Paul Wright thread starter macrumors regular

Paul Wright

thanks, but are you sure it would work with another Mac as i already installed it on one Mac

4. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

Apple most likely wouldn't give you a refund as you have no way of proving to them that you are going to sell the laptop, so it would look to them as you had just installed it and are taking the discs back

5. Paul Wright thread starter macrumors regular

Paul Wright

the thing is apple will be replacing my laptop so im not selling it and i bought the discs from them on like saturday... so in theory they will be taking a late 2006 back with leopard installed days before... and thats where i run into my problem :(

6. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

It will work fine. There's no DRM on the disk. If Apple will be getting the laptop that has the copy you installed, and provided you don't make a copy of the disk for yourself, you're fine selling it.

7. Paul Wright thread starter macrumors regular

Paul Wright

thanks, but could even apple give me a refund for it... or is that out of the question.

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Wait, you're getting a brand new computer from Apple for free, and you think Apple owes you $100?

9. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

You have two options.

1. Attempt to sell Leopard on eBay. There is nothing wrong with you doing this unless you have installed it on another Mac at your home. You will likely get a good price for it.

2. Return it to Apple, telling them the reasons as to why you no longer ned it. They may accept it back, taking a restocking fee off the refund/store credit they give you.

As far as I am aware, now that the seal is broken, Apple have no obligation to accept it back unless faulty. However, if you explain why you no longer need it and point out that it has not been installed on any other Macs, they may be sympathetic towards you.

The best thing would be to call or visit your local store and ask.

David

10. Paul Wright thread starter macrumors regular

Paul Wright

no im not saying that.... your taking this the wrong way... i was wondering if at first i could get rid of this copy... and i can, i was just wondering if apple would give me some of the money back like half of it or something... im a student i really cant waste money.

11. Paul Wright thread starter macrumors regular

Paul Wright

thanks im going in later this week so i will talk to them.. i know that they have no obligation to give it to me a refund atall but being a student they might realise that you cant just waste money... well anyway i will probably just eBay it.

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you can't afford to waste money, you stand to recover more of your money by selling it on eBay than you do on a chance that Apple might give you a 50% refund, no? :confused:

If it helps you any, should you choose to sell your MBP in the future, the model they're giving you will have a higher resale value than the late-2006 model they swapped you for. :)

13. Seb Hughes macrumors newbie

His current Macbook has had sooo many problems, Apple is replacing it with a new one. Not his fault.

14. Paul Wright thread starter macrumors regular

Paul Wright

ah true... meh i should ebay it yes... i should sell it... yes... i just need to get the money... yes... if i get any problems within the first 14 days of recieving this macbook... yes im walking in and asking for a refund.

And as Seb said... ive had so many problems with apple... its taking the piss.