Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeeosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
I was lucky enough to grab netshare when it was available.

Just now, I was able to get my new iPad and iPhone 3gs connected to the same ad-hoc network. I used my MBPro to first create the network, then attached the ipad and iphone to the ad-hoc network successfully.

I setup the proxies as usual for netshare, and the mbpro could browse via netshare.

When loading up safari on the iPad, I just get the message 'safari cannot open this file' for any url.

When entering the proxy port on the ipad config, it kept changing the 1080 value back to 80, unless I selected a different text input field before escaping out of the network config. When the port was set wrong, i got a different error message. I suspect perhaps there is a bug in there related to the proxy port, or perhaps safari is blocking it on purpose. I can't change the proxy port that netshare uses, otherwise I would try switching it to port 80 or something else.

I realize it's not ideal to have to use a 3rd device to create the ad-hoc network, since otherwise you could just use the laptop to browse instead of the ipad.. But it would be nice to at least have that option!

Any other ideas?

-J

muski

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2008
I had the same idea and tried it. I got it all working to the same point as you, but when I load a site on Safari, I get "Download Failed, Safari cannot download this file". From what I've read, this suggests that the iPad Safari app is still using HTTP not SOCKS5.

Any idea how to setup SOCKS5 on iPad Safari?

If the above worked, it would be great. But even better, instead of using a MBP to create an ad-hoc network, I was wondering if there was some kind of portable, battery powered wifi router that could create a network that would enable iPad/iPhone NetShare tethering. (Even if it was HTTP only)

jeeosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
I had the same idea and tried it. I got it all working to the same point as you, but when I load a site on Safari, I get "Download Failed, Safari cannot download this file". From what I've read, this suggests that the iPad Safari app is still using HTTP not SOCKS5.

Any idea how to setup SOCKS5 on iPad Safari?

If the above worked, it would be great. But even better, instead of using a MBP to create an ad-hoc network, I was wondering if there was some kind of portable, battery powered wifi router that could create a network that would enable iPad/iPhone NetShare tethering. (Even if it was HTTP only)

I haven't tried it yet, but this is apparently the way to get the iPhone (and presumably iPad) to use a SOCKS proxy:

http://snipplr.com/view.php?id=16563

-j

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
If your brave enough to JB your phone, there is an app called MyWi that will create it's own ad-hoc access point. Think of it as a MiFi app. It functions as a router, so there is no need to configure Socks. This work great with the iPad.

I have tried NetShare (unsuccessfully), but the limitation of needing a third device defeats the point.
BTW - MyWi us also a bit less of a power hog then NetShare.

gwitah

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2010
nice thread. i made it work from the info here.

3 devices were required.
1. iphone4 with netshare (yes i was lucky to buy it when i could) 10.10.10.1
2. macbook to create the wifi network and provide the webserver for my pac file. 10.10.10.2
3. ipad 10.10.10.3

i created a pac file called my.pac and put this in it.

function FindProxyForURL(url, host) {
return "SOCKS 10.10.10.1:1080";
}

i saved this file on my macbook webserver at http://10.10.10.2/my.pac
created a wifi network on the mac called MacBook. joined this network on the iphone and ipad. assigned the static ip addresses listed above. in safari prefs on the mac, i set SOCKS proxy to be the iphone 10.10.10.1 port 1080.
open netshare on the iphone.

here's the trick. on the ipad, i joined my MacBook network, assigned 10.10.10.3, went to the details of this connection and set the proxy to AUTO and entered http://10.10.10.2/my.pac

boom. open safari on the ipad and you're on the internet from your iphone 3g connection.

very cool.
sux that you need 3 devices but at least i can absolutely create my own wifi hotspot and let my macbook and ipad both surf at the same time. rockin for car rides with kids! especially since you'll want to have the iphone providing the 3g connection plugged in cause it sucks your battery and the screen can't go dark or you lose connection. that's a problem with netshare but assuming you can power the phone and turn off sleep, it's no big deal.

word!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.