Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingsapo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Hello! I recently got a MacBook Pro, and was considering getting a dock for it (a henge dock, for example). I currently operate on a Mac Mini, with all of my iTunes stuff (300+ GB of videos) stored on an external hard drive. My main goal is to replace the Mini with the MacBook Pro. The problem is, I have too much iTunes stuff to keep on the MacBook Pro.

The thing is, I still wanted to keep some of my stuff (music and maybe podcasts) on the MacBook Pro's local hard drive, while only having access to all my videos every time I dock the computer (hope this makes sense). Obviously, I know that you can change where iTunes stores it's files. My question is, is there a way to tell iTunes to store only parts of it's library in certain places? For example, store all music in directory x, and store everything else in directory y.

Even if it wasn't a built-in feature, I'd be willing to resort to a 3rd party solution. As always, any help is appreciated!

kingsapo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Wow. Um, thanks! Sorry for the unnecessary forum post and stuff, I guess I never thought of phrasing it like that, so maybe that's why I wasn't getting help pages that would help me? Anyway, thanks again, and I'll definitely use that MRoogle thing in the future! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.