Partion massive problem!! mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Geeker, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Geeker macrumors newbie

ok here my problem:

I partion my internal HD into 2
    1 for Mac OS X 10.4.10 40GB
    the other one for Mac OS X 10.5 beta 30GB
    i partion disk via Firewire for my other comp ( Emac G4 PPC), it work fine it partion perfectly, but when i boot my mac mini screen goes gray and then a folder icon it a question mark in middle, it flashes for a while...i left it5 for 2 hours and still dose it and the 30 min later it shuts down... i try using instal disk to go use disk uttility but it wont load it ether nor it will let me what partition to load from.. what to do???? it wont even let me reinstal evrything?

i have: Mac Mini 10.4.10
    512mb ram 1.83 GHz
    70GB HD

2. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

When you partition a machine it erases any existing partition. You have wiped your original OS X on the Mac Mini, and now have two blank partitions. You're going to have to reinstall.

Hold down C to boot off the install CD when the machine is starting up.

3. Geeker thread starter macrumors newbie

but how can i reinstall? i cant boot from cd?

u used disk utility and selected partion and then split and the partion

and thanks for fast reply

4. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

I can't tell from your post, but if it is an intel mac you can hold down the option key when you turn the computer on and it'll go to a bootloader screen where you should be able to pick the install disk and start from it.

5. Geeker thread starter macrumors newbie

yes it is a intel, when i do that a gray screen comes up and then i can use my mouse ...but that all

wow...iu really fried my hd....

6. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

When partitioning an Intel Mac you have to partition it using the GUID partition table. If you don't, then there's no way an Intel Mac would boot. As you used a PPC to set it up through FireWire, it probably defaulted to the Apple Partition Table format. This would certainly stop it booting even if you had all the actual OS X files on the partition.

However, even if that were the case then you should still be able to boot off the CD by holding down C when the machine is starting. Are you sure you are using the OS X installed CD that came with your Mac Mini? Remember, only an Intel Mac install CD will work, if you are trying a previous PPC OS X CD then that'll be why you aren't able to boot from it.

7. Geeker thread starter macrumors newbie

im prety sure i am...
    even that when i hold down "C" the screen with the folder and and question mark come up

8. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

Does the CD say "Mac Mini Restore Disc 1" on it?

9. Geeker thread starter macrumors newbie

10. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

Well, I guess either your DVD or your Mac Mini is broken :(

11. Geeker thread starter macrumors newbie

well thanks for help
    btw the install dvd i had wasent for my mac mini, my dad has all the cd at work so he will bring them back home all let you know later on