Partioning External Hard drive for Mac/Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lang679, Mar 13, 2009.

1. lang679 macrumors newbie

I have an Aluratek 60GB external harddrive.

I want to use it as storage for all my iTunes music. However, I would also like to be able to plug the hard drive (usb) into Windows computers to play my music.

I understand that it is possible to do this by formatting the drive as MS-DOS (FAT) using Disk Utility.

Okay, that's great.

Here's the problem:
    I seem to somehow have damaged my harddrive (no idea how) so that I can't put more that 116.9mb of info on it before there is an error. However, when I partition off the first 4gb or so as free space, I have found that I can use the rest of the drive just fine.
    BUUUT when partitioning the hard drive, the option for MS-DOS (FAT) is unavailable.

Do any of the other available formats work for both mac and pc? (I have Mac OS 10.5.6 and the other available formats appear to be: Mac Os X Extended (Journaled), Mac Os X Extended, Mac Os X Extended (Case-Sensitive, Journaled), Mac Os X Extended (Case-Sensitive), and, of course, Free Space.)

Any one have an idea of what I could do?

:) Thanks so much! :)

:apple:Lang:apple:

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I would try setting up the drive in Windows as a FAT32 Drive, then using it on both machines.

TEG