Partioning hard drive - What size

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jelite, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Jelite macrumors 6502a

Im about to partition on my new MBP 160GB (148GB), what would be the recommended size, i just want one partition for media and one for OSX/programs unless you recommend something different?

Also am i right in thinking that the OS partition wont be erased?

Edit: Doing some Google searching tells me that in 10.5 you can partition without erasing your start-up volume, but you were unable to in previous versions of the OS.

2. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

from what i gather most will say partitioning, especially on a system drive thats not that large, is pointless nowadays considering the speeds of things and may save whatever amount of wear and tear, if any.

3. Jelite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is it not worth it just to separate the OS so you don't have to copy all your movies/music after a re-install?

4. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

sorry mate. i never used those kinds of disc utility features so i don't know. so you're saying that you can do an os install on a hd that already has files on it without having to wipe the whole thing clean and re-install everything all over again?

well, if that don't beat all...what'll they think of next. i had no idea
    (i'm not being sarcastic either) :)

5. Jelite thread starter macrumors 6502a

You sure can, it makes it a whole lot easier if your os messes up or if you just want to do a fresh install, the separate partitions act like different drives.