Partioning internal Hard Drive for different accounts...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by acearchie, Nov 10, 2007.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Is it possible on a new iMac to partion the Hard Drive (465gb) into 2 sections for two different accounts?

My sister downloads alot of games (demos) and forgets to dispose of them and their .dmg images etc. (she is only 9 so ill let her off!) So its easier to leave her too it than try and teach her different just yet!

Is it possible to partion a Hard Drive (say 50gb) for my sister and leave 400GB for my dad (mainly movies and work)

Then I would be able to come home on the weekend (Boarding school) and clean up my sisters section of the hard drive! This way my dads comp. doesnt get over run with rubbish (which is sadly what happened to the last iMac which currently has 1gb free of the 80GB hard drive!

Any help or sugegstions would be much appreciated!

Thanks

2. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

What OS version do you have, Leopard can partition a drive without losing data via Disk Utility. So that would work for your needs.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

N.....o? I really don't see how it could be done (two installations of OS X; one on each side, but...) or why you'd feel the need to do this... She'll be taking up space regardless of if she has her own account or her own partition... The only thing about a partition would be you being able to effectively LIMIT the space she can waste...

Just teach her to use AppZapper. Or, better yet, give her a partition, but make it in Boot Camp and put Vista on it. :p Then when she gets inundated with viruses and spyware, tell her to be more frugal with her downloading. She'll learn quickly!

4. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Ha I wish it was as easy as that, but sadly not!

Just wondering how long should it take to create a 50gb segment?

Mines been modifying the partiton map for about an hour?

I have a 500gb Hardrive (465Gb useable)

Thanks