Partition 3 ways?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NYRngrs24, Jun 12, 2007.

1. NYRngrs24 macrumors member

Hi, im getting a macbook pro with the 160gig hdd. My plans were to partiotion it three ways. 70gbs for mac, 30 for windows, then 60 that will be for data (ie music, pics, etc) what I want to know, is that possible, and heres the catch. I want the "data" partiton to be able to be read by mac and pc. basically so i can have music on both, and also share other files back n forth. The apple store guy said i could do this, but didn't really explain. I hope someone here can help! thanks

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I assume you want Boot Camp, but if you use parallels, then you could do this much easier? but yes you can partition a drive as many ways as you wanted.

3. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

The best way, in my opinion, would be two have two partitions and keep all the media on the mac side. Then, you can buy a program called MacDrive for XP that will let XP read the mac partition. This is the setup I currently use and it works well. This way, even if you add something like a mac formatted external, XP will still be able to read it.

4. NYRngrs24 thread starter macrumors member

hmm

Yes boot camp.

I plan to use parallels, but sometimes ill need to boot in native windows.

with mac drive, does it read the mac partition well? or is it unorganized. basically is it what an ipod looks like when you look at it on the pc.

also is it stable? Can I save stuff to the mac from windows mode? Thanks
    ---------------
    update. just looked up mac drive. looks great. id like that much better. I was worried about the partition size for data, but now i can do like 110-120gb for mac and the rest for windows.

anyone have problems w/ this?

btw this is my first mac. :) I liked macs in the past, used one a lot at school and loved it. Once i heard about bootcamp it sold me. I cant leave my windows just yet, some software just isnt ut for mac yet,

5. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Well, yes, you can do that, but then you're dependant on another program running (and taking away system resources from Windows).

I'd suggest tripple partitioning as you're thinking, with the data partition formatted as FAT32 so there's no issues in reading or WRITING to it from Mac OS X.

Remember to keep the partition to 32GB or less since that's the cap of what an NT-class OS will let you format as FAT32.

6. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

It just works, the same way that the mac can read the xp partition. Everything on your ipod is randomized by design to make it hard to copy the music back off of it. Obviously it all shows up in the windows "finder" so it looks like windows, but all your files are there and you have the correct file structure and everything.

The only limitation is that XP won't read Mac RAIDs, but I tend to doubt you're going to be running a RAID inside your MBP.

7. NYRngrs24 thread starter macrumors member

yea, no raid in my mpb. but that would be cool. The only thing im worried is if i did the partition 3 ways, that the "data" partition wont be big enough. and FAT32 only can handle files up to 2gb in size, which is also an issue. Mac drive really take up a lot of resources?

8. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

You could always store the shared data on the Windows FAT32 partition and have a second for OS X.

Windows won't allow you to format a FAT32 partition larger than 32GB, but I dont' think Boot Camp has this restriction.

9. NYRngrs24 thread starter macrumors member

hmm

hmm, ill have to look. I really like the idea of MacDrive the best if its stable and good. otherwise i htink ill just have to do the 3 partition deal. Too bad my mbp wont be here for a while :( darn 7200rpm hdd!

10. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

MacDrive doesn't use any resources, at least in the way I think you mean. It's completely transparent.

11. duskdawn macrumors newbie

Sorry to bump the old thread but I am new to mac and I am having exactly the same question as OP.
    I wonder which option the OP finally selected and how well the problem is being solved.
    And I am also planning to store all data file (documents, music, photos and basically all non-application files etc) in the 3rd drive which are both accessible from Mac and Win, and I wonder how will the FAT format of this drive slow down the iLife etc when they are accessed from Mac OS? Or Mac OS just treats all drive format files same or with minimal difference?
    Thank you for any help.