Partition a drive into 3 parts plus put boot camp on - can it be done?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jonnysods, Jan 3, 2010.

1. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

Help me out here - I've tried to partition my drive so I can have some scratch disks etc on my mac. I create them in disk utility, then I create a BC partition -the drives disappear!

I try creating the BC partition first then the other partitions - they disappear!!

Any advice or success stories out there?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Ignore Boot Camp Assistant. It will only allow you to have one OS X partition and a single Boot Camp partition.

Just partition as you want with Disk Utility it and reboot holding down the Option/Alt key to select your install disc and treat it like a regular PC install.

If you are running a 32 bit version you may have to have the Boot Camp partition to be one of the first few partitions for MBR compatibility, but Windows 7 64-bit should understand GPT partition schemes properly, assuming you don't have one of those 32-bit only EFI Macs.

B

3. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

Wow, that's great information to know, thanks for posting that. I had no idea it would be that simple or that you could skip using the BCA.

Thanks!

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The approach I suggested still uses the (standard) Boot Camp Boot Loader, and the Boot Camp drivers. (In fact it uses the Boot Loader to boot the install disc!).

The link you provided adds a step to the process, as the data partition is created separately after BCA has done its thing. There is no need for that if you know what you are doing with the partitions in the first place.

B