partition a third volume?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pleasurejunky, May 26, 2009.

1. pleasurejunky macrumors newbie

So I recently used Bootcamp Assistant to partition another volume on my MacBook. I did this so I could boot up off of it and use various HD tools on my startup volume. Since I have the Unibody MB which is sans FW, this has become a difficult thing to do. But this method worked flawlessly.

Now I am trying to create a third volume to run Ubuntu. Only it doesn't seem Bootcamp wants to let me add a third partition as easily as the second one was. Drive Genius won't let me do it either. It just doesn't make sense to me that you would be able to create one partition without reformatting entire HD, but not two.

Can anyone shed some light one this or what I'm doing wrong? Thanks :)

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

You probably need to use disk utility under Mac OS X. This the main front-end for the bootcamp assistant.

3. pleasurejunky thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, Disk Utility only works from a fresh HD. You cannot do a partition from an in use startup disk like you can with Bootcamp.

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Well, I can edit the size of my Macintosh HD partition in Disk Utility, and add a second partition (This is my boot disk on my White MacBook). I'm guessing its not bootable tho. If your looking to resize the boot-camp one, or make a new system drive, you need to do that under Windows for a stable result. (I did that for a second windows partition, Mac OS X cant see it, but Windows can and so long as I dont mess with Disk Utility first, it works fine).