Partition/Back-Up Program or Ability to create 2nd bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ninjapenguinart, May 19, 2008.

1. ninjapenguinart macrumors regular

Hello, right now I have a ~290gb mac osx partition and a 175gb windows xp partition, but I want to have a 40gb Linux partition. I was wondering if there was a way to create a 2nd bootcamp partition? Or would I just have to create 1 big bootcamp partition for xp and then partition it while in xp? If so what program should I use to back up and partition my xp?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Just a word of warning... I tried to do something similar to this, and got myself into all kinds of trouble - namely, into a situation where neither Mac OS X nor Linux would boot. I was able to recover by reinstalling Leopard and restoring from my Time Machine backup...

That said, I believe you're going to have to make one large Windows partition then carve out a space within that for Linux to use. I recommend Winclone for backing up and resizing Boot Camp partitions.

3. ninjapenguinart thread starter macrumors regular

Wait! can I partition my OS X partition for the linux partition and re-format it in XP?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Huh? If you're using Leopard, you'll be able to create the new partition. However, I don't know if XP will let you reformat it... and if so, if you'll be able to install Linux there afterwards.

5. ninjapenguinart thread starter macrumors regular

I mean I know that XP doesn't recognize my mac os X partition because of its format, but I was hoping there was some windows program that recognizes mac format. If so does anyone know of one?

6. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

MacDrive does but it costs money.

What I do for my Windows Partition is use Bombich's netrestore after having BootCamped Windows the way I like it. Once in a while I then make a new backup and if something goes horribly wrong, I just restore an old image.
    I imagine it's entirely possible doing the same thing with Linux partitions.
    I don't recommend using Linux to partition anything that Mac OS X is going to dabble with as Disk Utility's way of partitioning is read wrong or at least very different from certain Linux programs. I suggest you find solutions through OS X as much as possible, since it will (I assume) be your 'master' system.

7. ninjapenguinart thread starter macrumors regular

That MacDrive seems very promising and also it might save 40gb on my XP partition if I can access all of my music files off my OS X partition. ^_^ So I might just get that, partition my osx to have a 250gb and a 40gb partitions, reformat the 40gb to ntfs, and then install Ubuntu on it. Hopefully it's as easy as it sounds.

8. chscag macrumors 65816

Take a look at the latest version of Ubuntu (8.04). It can be installed from within Windows and actually run from within Windows as a virtual machine. No need to re-partition or triple boot. :)

Regards.

9. ninjapenguinart thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info, but if I wanted to run Ubuntu as a VM, I would just use parallels for that. It would make my life a bit easier :p but where's the fun in that?