Partition before Migration

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hstansbury, Jun 20, 2011.

1. hstansbury macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to the forum...

My SSD+2TB 27" arrives this week. I want to partition the 2TB in half (for Time Machine data the other for media), before I migrate everything.

I've never done this before...

I assume I bypass the initial Migration Assistant and use Disk Utility on the SSD to partition the 2TB. Next run Migration Assistant to transfer Time Machine data to the one partition. Then run Migration Assistant to transfer everything from my old mac to the SSD. Last transfer the SSD media to the second partition.

Is this correct? Is there anything else I need to know - or watch out for?

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Theres no need to partition, TM creates its own section.

3. hstansbury thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

So the initial set up will ask if I want to partition a portion of my 2TB for TM?

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

No, it will not.

If you *really* think you need/want to create a partition for TM, then your steps should work fine.

TM doesnt *need* partition to work, it just takes up a section all to itself. You can keep whatever else files you want on the drive, TM doesnt care, and the files wont intermingle.

5. Birdy1062 macrumors member

In my opinion you should use an external disk for Time Machine; what's the use of a time machine disk to recover your data if it is on the same disk as the data you want to protect????:confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    If your 2 TB dies you'll loose your data AND time machine....:(:(

6. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

The risk of using the same disk for time machine is if the hard drive fails, you will lose all your backups. Why not buy an external usb external hard drive and use that as time machine.

7. hstansbury thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand the issue of a partitioned HHD with TM, as explained.

99% of my files will be on my SSD, and anything on my 2TB drive will be frequently backed up via Carbon Copy Cloner onto an external. I'm using TM for easy retrieval with CCC External for permanent.

I just want to confirm these are the steps to setting this up.